Nick-on or N-Icon - how do YOU pronounce it?

British- Nick-on
American- Nye-con

I believe Japanese pronounce it Nee-kon

ニコン

So let me get this straight.
You people go around saying 'Nikon' all the time and comparing pronunciation?
Jeez! You must have boring lives.
My advice is invest in a dictionary. Then you will find out that there are a lot more words you can say instead (most of which Americans mis-pronounce and mis-spell too) :lol:

So let me get this straight.
You people go around saying 'Nikon' all the time and comparing pronunciation?
Jeez! You must have boring lives.
My advice is invest in a dictionary. Then you will find out that there are a lot more words you can say instead (most of which Americans mis-pronounce and mis-spell too) :lol:
^ this guy has a point :)

Mum not mom
Arse not Ass (however ass sounds better.)
Honour not honor
Colour not color
Aluminium not Aluminum
etc...

Yes, Japanese pronunciation is as listed above ni = nee ko = koh n = n,with almost equal emphasis on on the "nee" and the "cone". I once asked a Japanese exchange student how to pronounce Nikon,and that is what she told me.

In videos made by people from the UK and Australia, I have repeatedly heard the brand name pronounced it NICK-on.

Most Americans pronounce it NYE-con.

I still sometimes think of Nikon as Nippon Kogaku, or Japan Camera. You know, the company that made all of the lenses for Canon's first three years' worth of 35mm cameras.

There was a U.S. ad not long ago (possibly introducing the D80 but I can't remember) where the announcer's first pronunciation was Nee-kon but subsequent pronunciations were all NYE-kon. I guess he caught himself!

Heres some to get you started

Banana
Tomato
Trousers
Lift
Boot
Colour

Most reactions

Back