Nicole

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by rub, Sep 3, 2010.

1. rub

rub TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Met Nicole for the first time at 6am on a rooftop. I am venturing into the world of off camera lighting and would appreciate any critique

Thanks!
    Kristal

I should note these are linked from Facebook - sorry for the poor quality

1)[​IMG]

2)
    [​IMG]

3)
    [​IMG]

4)
    [​IMG]

2. Neil S.

Neil S. TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    #1 I feel would be better if her head wasnt cut off. The pose is nice on this one though.

#2 had quite a bit of potential I think. The pose is a bit awkard though. It almost looks as if she is stalking something, and this just confuses me.

#3 I think would be great if she was sitting facing the camera, and had a more natural pose. The light on the wall is a bit distracting as well.

#4 again I think you are cutting off too much. It would be better if shot/cropped looser. The pose looks fake to me, and a more natural one would be better.

A lot of this is just my opinion/style. Hope it helps.

3. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    2 made me chuckle for the very same reason as mentioned above... if she has a quirkier personality ( and I suspect she does ) this may work very well. If she doesn't, this might be odd.

1 and 4 seemed nice to me... the pensive look in 4 was a little odd/forced, but interesting. The crop on 4 strikes me as questionable, but not overly so. I might experiment with more crop (or less if you can).

In 3 she looks uncomfortable to me.

Overall not bad, IMO.

4. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Really like the first one. Excellent camera position. I think it's perfectly fine to take some off the top. Nits: having both shoulders rolled forward diminishes the impact. Had you directed her to shift the left shoulder rearward, this would've created a nice angled line. The lighting is purposed I'm guessing.... beauty lighting. This does not create shadows to give depth. Nothing wrong with it, just commenting. I could see how the jewelry could cause unwanted shadows. The bra strap.

I'm undecided on the lines she is creating in #2. I think it's the chicken wing. Had she rolled the left shoulder a bit more...... maybe, not sure.

#3 - Bend the left elbow, turn the torso away from the camera, raise the chin, lose the left arm.... I mean to hide it from view. :biggrin:

If you have more room at the top, that could help. If not, take off some more.

I must say that you have done very well at capturing her facial positions combined with your camera position.

5. DanFinePhotography

DanFinePhotography TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    These are nice, perhaps with a little different lighting they may have been dramatic

6. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    1 and 4 would have made excellent verticals. #4 is especially odd...it's 25% subject and 75% empty, out of focus nothingness. The background contributes absolutely nothing in shot #4.

7. njw1224

njw1224 TPF Noob!

Well, I won't hammer you on pose and composition any more as above. But you did seem to ask about C&C on your off camera lighting. Overall I think you did a good job with this. I don't really notice it much, which is a good thing. Any added lighting should look natural and believable. So if it jumps out to the viewer, it may not be a good thing. You seem to have balanced ambient and artificial lighting well in these.

8. rub

rub TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you everyone for the feedback - always is appreciated.

As for the compositional comments, I have one heck of a time directing models, but I am working on it - I will use all the suggestions though. She indeed has a very quirky personality, and the one of her crouching is her favorite - she said its very much her.

As for number 4 - I was really drawn to this image, but not sure why. This was not posed, I was actually having some speedlight issues at the time and she was just looking out, waiting for me to get my act together. I agree about the 25/75 ratio, but I am always drawn to dead space images. This may have been taking it a little far though.

Thanks again
    K