Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
IMG_7235-resized.jpg

IMG_7232-resized.jpg

IMG_7236-resized.jpg

IMG_7237-resized.jpg

#1 is my favorite. Too close? I don't care...it's still my favorite. (4 is a close second though.)

C&C welcome & appreciated.

#3 needs a little touch-up. I thought I fixed that...guess not.

EDIT

...I fixed #3, but the old version is still showing up for me. Don't know why. I refreshed & deleted cookies.

Last edited:
Bump.

If you have any C&C, now is the time folks. I can handle it - even if it's bad.

If a reshoot is in order, I have to do it tomorrow morning. I don't know when the next chance will be.

...I should have used a reflector (didn't have anybody to hold it). I will do that tomorrow.

My C&C is absolutely horrible so I hope you are serious about being able to handle it.

Ok. You're sure?

I am glad you selected that photo for #1. Wham, bam, thank you mam! Up close and personal. Very nice. I like it. I would have loved it if the light was better. The beauty of her right eye makes me want to see more of her left eye and, unfortunately, it is nothing more than a black marble. I also like her lips but I would slightly retouch a couple spots right underneath that seem a bit red.

2, 3 and 4 have too many lighting problem to be enjoyed. 3 and 4, her expression doesn't do much for me but I like 2 except for the light. Her left eye basically disappear and there's a very annoying highlight and stray hair on her eyelid.

Thank you for the honest C&C. I appreciate it.

I can't get better if nobody tells me what I did wrong.

I will reshoot in the morning. I think a reflector will solve most of the problems.

Please elaborate on the lighting problems in 2, 3, & 4.
I would like to correct these in the morning.

Thank you.

very annoying highlight and stray hair on her eyelid.

I fixed that. I don't know why the new version isn't showing up... Just wanted to let you know that it was noticed, and it has been corrected.

too much of the same thing. Eye expressions are good but facial is all the same. Lighting is nothing special & her messy hair is distracting.

Your putting me in a tough spot because even though I know what is wrong to my eye, explaining it is not that easy for me. Except I can start by saying that you already know yourself since you mention a reflector.

And there is a very good chance that is all you need. Cheap piece of foam core board. Then try different setting on your flash until you get a nice balance between the two sides of her face.

#3 and 4, her eyes are both nice but you have that not so nice nose shadow. In those two I also don't like her expression much. She's kind of pouting and thinking at the same time and it doesn't work. But that is personal perception so...

#2 is the same lighting problem as #1 but worse. Not enough light on her left eye (right to us.) Plus that stray hair going down the middle of it and catching light.

You know, I'm looking at those photos intensely to try and explain my view of them and I can't help and wonder how old your niece is. She doesn't look very old but the expressions on her face look much older :scratch:

Thanks for the comments. Maybe that's why I liked #1 the most - no messy hair.

We will fix that in the morning.

Hey Josh... the compositions aren't my favorite, personally... and I think her expressions are a little bland... however, I think (as has been said) that most of the issues here are in the lighting. Now I am NOT a portrait photog, nor do I play one on TV, but...

Seems like you want a softer light and more of it in the "shadowed" areas of her face so you get more of an even cast overall... also seems like you want to get a better (spectral?) light/reflection in her eye... I've found I get best results for this when I have at least one of the light sources on or very near the camera. Obviously want to diffuse/bounce things. I've had great success with one diffused flash on-camera and one off to the side bounced off a wall or umbrella.

Again... I have a very small amount of clue here. :)

Yes, the light was pretty harsh. I didn't diffuse it at all (I was trying to get the fastest shutter speed I could).

OK, Musts for tomorrow-

Diffuse the light
Reflector

...Anything else?

Bring donuts!

Sorry, I'm hungry. :)

I can't wait to see the next rev. Good luck!

Light was mostly to the side. I think tomorrow I'll try it a little more frontal - closer to the camera.

That+reflector, will help a lot I think.

Hey, if you have a willing model, great. That is how we learn. Doing it again and again and again until we get it right.

And then, of course, some other problem comes up :lmao:

Light was mostly to the side. I think tomorrow I'll try it a little more frontal - closer to the camera.

NO! flat light is boring.

Have you looked at the strobist's website? Maybe you should.

Hey, if you have a willing model, great. That is how we learn. Doing it again and again and again until we get it right.

And then, of course, some other problem comes up :lmao:

I don't get to see my niece very often. If I don't get it tomorrow, I don't know when I'll get to try again.

NO! flat light is boring.

Have you looked at the strobist's website? Maybe you should.

...I've seen it, but it's been a while. I'm using hot lights, if that matters.

So..., side lighting = good? ...just should have used a reflector?

Sorry, but I don't have time for subtleties - I need in-your-face, brutally honest C&C.

Tell me exactly where I went wrong, and (if you can) offer tips on how to improve.

Tomorrow is my last chance for the foreseeable future.

Most reactions

Back