Night Club Photography

wow i must have been tiiiiired when i said whats night club photography. i feel dumb.
that guy in the background of the first picture is checking out the girls butts.

I have a bar and post lots of pictures on our web site. The keys that I have learnt are:
Use 1/30 and 2.8-4 (If I'm taking unposed shots I might go to 5.6 to get more latitude on the focus)
ISO 800 EV+2/3 (if they are wearing reflective jewellry go +1-2/3. Spot metering.
Flash on rear curtain -2/3 EV. If I am really out to get the shots - a sponsored party say - I will use dedicated flash - mine has IR transmitters so focus is much easier.
Single point focus (and not continous - too dark).
Post processing: very difficult because you and most photographers want it to look natural, but most subjects like a bright shot and if they are Thai (I'm in Thailand) they want to have white skin! I will generally raise the black point a lot to lose the background.
In a big club - with light shows etc - and you want atmosphere shots, then really fast lens - 1.4 50mm is my fastest - Manual exposure and try to get a setting when the lights flash - set that to about +2 EV and then just takes lots of shots!
Hope that helps

Already...

Last night I took some pictures using 50mm f1.8 with 20 aperture and shutter speed at 1.8. I did not use flash either..

But most of my pictures were way too dark. I tried different Aperture, but it either turned darker or would be blurry due to my hand shake.

IMG_0109.jpg

you were told, the ones you have posted of the two girls are blotchy anyway, try listening to advice, you need a flash and as another poster has said try using RCS to capture some of that ambiance and then flash for a decent exposure, these are tried and trusted photographic techniques that need to be learned before you can go out and take decent shots in terrible lighting conditions, if you dont follow advice dont ask the questions. H

Mhhhhhh.....

I have a different view on nightclub photography than what is mostly suggested here. Nothing wrong with what has been said, just another way of doing things.

In a nutshell, flash is your friend.
Second curtain, slow sync, slow speed.
No need to have high ISO's at all
No need to have a fast lens at all
Wide angle (fisheye for me) is a +

Froggy.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back