Night photo

anton980

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.antonimation.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Shot this photo tonight, and I'd like to hear your comments. Thanks!

CityHall.jpg

Anton

Thanks very much for comments, Dirt! (feels awkward calling you that, sorry). You think the pool edge is a distraction? I actually intentionally left it in to create somewhat of a base for a photo.

Ray, thank you very much! How much of the top would you suggest I crop out? I spent some time playing with the cropping, and I felt taking too much out would make the photo look claustrophobic, so to speak. If you have any suggestions, feel free to modify this photo. Thanks again!

I only wish the moon was passing through that part of the skyscape ;)

Anton

nice. I like the bottom of the fountain edge there.. But agree with cropping the top.

I've been trying to hone my night taking skills, especially now dealing with a bit of insomnia, how did you get the building so clear, and crisp? I tend to have my iluminated buildings get blurry from too much light with long exposures...

Fadi said:
how did you get the building so clear, and crisp?

I shot a few photos yesterday untill I got it the way I liked it (I'd probably have to shoot a full roll of film with slightly different settings to make sure I get at least one exposure perfect). But ballancing exposure time with aperture size did the trick. I also metered for the brighter spot on the clock tower to make sure I dont blow out the whites.

If you wish, I can post the exact settings for this shot.

Yes, I'd like that! thanks. Then I can compare to mine to see what I can do..

Hello again. Here are the numbers:

Camera: Nikon D70
Focal Length: 18 mm (it's a tightly cropped photo)
Mode: manual
Exposure compensation: -0.7
Aperture: f18
Shutter: 30 seconds
Metering: Matrix
Time of exposure: 2005/05/06 @ 20:54:30 (I got there late, I wanted to capture a nice gradient sky, but now that I think of it, that wouldnt work anyways - this photo is looking to the East)
Saturation: Enhanced
Color: Mode3A
Hue: 0
Tone: Auto
Sharpness: Auto
WB: Auto
ISO: 200

Also note that a cooling filter was used to give it a more bluish tone.

Hope that helps!

By the way, I just looked at your night DC gallery - #5 is awesome, but I'd clone the tree branches out from the left.

Anton

I like it a lot. Maybe a better crop would help out....however great night shot.

DIRT said:
Great shot. the only thing I would do is crop out the dark edge of the fountain at the bottom. and maybe a tad off the top. but non the less a great shot.

I agree!

Thanks to everyone for contributing a critique. I agree with the "too much black on top" comments, and I've fixed that. However, I'm not touching the base of the fountain! ;)

Anton

anton980 said:
...By the way, I just looked at your night DC gallery - #5 is awesome, but I'd clone the tree branches out from the left.

Anton
Thanks. Right now, I have no PS skills, but am learning. I appreciate the specs on your shot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back