Night Photography Help

as280607

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just had a quick question. I use a Nikon D90 and when I'm taking a long exposure, say more then a second, it takes that same time for a picture to come back up. So if I take a 30 second exposure it takes 30 seconds for the picture to come up. But I have a friend who uses a Nikon D60 and his pictures come up right away. So by the end of the night he usually gets about 3x as many photographs as I do. Its killing me since I do lightning photography. Any help?

as280607

Is that it? will that give it a lot more noise if I turn it off?

I don't know if that's it or not; but it does sound like it. Check your manual to find out where it's located in your camera's menu and then, assuming it's on, turn it off and find out. I know nothing about the D90's noise characteristics. Noise can often be mitigated in post.

did you post this question elsewhere, as i responsed earlier but this message isn't here.

If not , strange things happening.

ANyway i had suggested the noise reduction as well; which isn't the point now, but just checking if i am going mad :)

it's long exposure noise reduction. the camera makes a dark frame for the same time as the regular exposure and subtracts the noise from the original exposure. on the 12mp sensor in the D300/5000/90, you don't really need this on unless you're going over about 5 minutes.

Most reactions

Back