night photography is not easy...

scheffer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As assignment we got: night photography, without anymore details. Well, this is the result. In the middle of the night I went to the Westerschelde in the Netherlands. Hope you like them. I found the lighting rather difficult, so I shot in raw. It helped me adjusting a little here and there. Any other tricks I need to know? Next time I try this I'll go a little earlier, just before it is really dark. That will help me with the back ground light.

Danny

Attachments

• $doel klein.jpg
    $doel klein.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 104
  • $doel.jpg
    $doel.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 110
  • $IMG_0493.jpg
    $IMG_0493.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 96
  • $IMG_0496.jpg
    $IMG_0496.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 118
  • $lucht.jpg
    $lucht.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 120
These are all really nice !!

I like the house the most probably. You found pretty good angles and light everywhere you went !

Great job! I personally like the long pier with the boats in front of it... Very nice!

The pics seems like they have alot of noise what ISO did you use?? I LOVE the pictures

Great shots. I'm going to go off on a tangent, if you please.

#1 - Into the Mystic by Van Morrison
#2 - Industrial Disease by Dire Staits
#3 - One Particular Harbour by Jimmy Buffet
#4 - Our House by Crosby, Stills, Nash & (sometimes) Young
#5 - Lights by Journey (sometimes refered to as City by the Bay)

In that kind of mood tonight.

If you shot in RAW I would adjust the WB in three and four. As stated you have a lot of noise in them all. If you have it on a tripod why not go ahead and shoot 100 or 200 ISO.
Cosmo

thanks for the nice comments! Well, about the noise. Indeed I shot in raw, and I boosted the exposure later on. This explains part of the noise. I did shoot at low ISO, but I got misled by looking at the LCD screen on my camera. Due to the brightness of this screen, I thought the exposure was ok. I did not look on the histogram, stupid I know. The picture of the smoke of the power plant showed little contrast between the smoke and the background, so here I boosted the contrast as well. I thought that the noise in this one add something to it. The blueish sky, I do not know where the noise is coming from exactly. Exposure times were in the 10's of seconds. Dark current photon shot noise they call this.

I did notice two hot pixels by the way at these long exposures. Anyone saw this before? Camera is a Canon 30D.

Danny

Blue has a lot of noise in it.,.. might explain one issue...

Lightroom seems to automatically fix dead pixels when you open the develop panel, that might help you out too !!

Most reactions

Back