Night photography

photong

Typo Queen
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I want to shoot some fashion type stuff at night. The problem I'm facing is those ugly nasty yellow/orange street lights.

What filter could help me?

I'm using a D70s. Silly question, which white balance is that??

yeah, just get a WB card, take a reading before you shoot, and than when you do your post-production, just use whatever readings you get off of it for all of the shots, as long as the lighting is the same throughout.

The problem I can see is that you will want to use flash to a degree am I right? It is hard to get people to stay perfectly motionless for a second or so. If you will be using a flash you will need to filter the light from it to match the temperature of the streetlight. Some flashes come with such filters, and if you can match the lights and then set the white balance accordingly you get very neutral shots providing the lighting temperature doesn't change.

Garbz: I probably will use a flash because the light will be a little dim. How would I filter that colour out of the light if my flash doesn't come with filters? I can't afford to find and buy any.

Sw1tchFX: What's a WB card? I tried looking it up and didn't get much of a result. Is it like a grey card but for white balance?

Cuervo79: How can I shoot raw when I don't have anything to convert or support it? I need a little more information how to do this :(

you can gel your flash orange and set the WB for tungsten and you should not notice the flash being a different color ..... but you will have to boost the output power considerably

To convert and edit RAW files, try RawShooter Essentials. Actually, Adobe bought Pixmantec, the creators of the program, so it became unavailable when Adobe released their Lightroom. BUT, you can still find it on different pages. Just google it.

What's a WB card? I tried looking it up and didn't get much of a result. Is it like a grey card but for white balance?

this:

wybal.jpg

it has your whites, mids, and darks for accurate white balance adjustments for post-production.

I'm not able to use RawShooter Essentials, and I tried the trial for Lightroom, and neither will work on my computer (it's messed up and I dont have time to format right now)

shoot raw. adjust the white balance for the background, save the file, then reload the RAW file, adjust WB for the subject, save and merge together in photoshop using masking. Very easy job that requires nothing extra but time.

this:

wybal.jpg

it has your whites, mids, and darks for accurate white balance adjustments for post-production.

Hey is that all you do? Shoot a photo in RAW of the cards and yer good to go for post production? How do you adjust in PS for your readings?

Most reactions

Back