Night Photos C&C appreciated

blakejd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Shot a few pics tonight hoping to catch the meteor shower but ended up just being long exposures. These are my first true attempts at long night exposures. Two questions? First question is why are there random red and blue pixels? Is this camera, reflecting light, photographer error? I know I can edit them out but I'd like to prevent it in the future if I can. Second question refers to Pic 2. Its more exposed than I'd like over the mountains and I can only attribute this to three possibilities, two of which I have no control over so I'd appreciate opinions. It could be the summit light on the peak, the ambient light from a small town and large city not far off, or it could be that damn truck that drove by the camera shining lights before I could close the shutter. If its the first two then its probably not worth going back for a better shot, but if the truck is a likely culprit then I just may go back it clearer conditions. The truck literally drove past within 3 ft of the camera so light was increased for about 5 sec with headlights.

ISO 200
F 9
Shutter speed 6.5min
32mm
_MG_2738a.jpg

ISO 200
F 9
shutter speed 55 min
18mm
_MG_2739a.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:
the random red and blue pixels are likely to be stars (blue and red burning ones) that didn't move during the time the shutter was left open... Possibly a planet as well.

the random red and blue pixels are likely to be stars (blue and red burning ones) that didn't move during the time the shutter was left open... Possibly a planet as well.
I had considered that but they show up below the horizon and not like house lights. Just completely at random and at place I know there is absolutely no unnatural light. When I zoom in on the raw photo they are pretty much red, blue or white circles at random. Almost like the camera wasn't quite sure what should go there. Thanks for the input.

My only guess would be dirt/dust on your sensor. If you were using a small aperture (f 8 or higher) the dust on your sensor shows up in your photos.

The dust theory works considering I was shooting on a dirt road and its been windy. Doubt it was the sensor considering a recent cleaning but I'm guessing a dusty lens could have the same effect. Thanks.

Anyone else. Hate to shoot this one again for nothing.

It's noise. Plain old luma noise, getting worse in a few spots. Clone those out. Shoot at ISO 100 (the cleanest ISO on your 400D). Luma noise will blow out a few pixels with such a long exposure. You should be focusing at the hyperfocal point of the lens, so you can shoot at the aperture of your choice, and thus just open up the aperture a bit to get more light and keep your exposure time the same.

In any case, both images need some serious noise reduction.

Thanks. A lot of the noise is likely due to wind and haze in the air I'm guessing. I'm not sure that the shots are worth the effort of serious PP vs go take the shot again the right way. I'll drop the ISO next time. The only reason I had it at 200 was I was thinking it would be more likely to catch meteors with the faster "film" speed. Didn't work so I guess it was pointless.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back