Night picture please critique

Muscus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

Long time reader, first time poster. First time I've gone out with the sole purpose of taking some pics and this is what I came back with. ISO100, 2.5sec, f10. Changed the white balance a bit so it didn't look pure red but thats it.

http://img384.imageshack.us/my.php?image=conhall2ja7.jpg

So please critique not only the composition but also exposure and what else I could maybe do to the raw file.

Thanks!

Sorry for the link, here it is without having to click
conhall.jpg

It could be my eyes, but it seems to have a slight lean to the left. May be it is just the collumns.

If it were my image, I might try to make that light, slightly less yellow and I would mask the sky and give it a deeper slightly more saturated blue.

These are just random thought off the top of my head though. I think it's pretty good for the lighting conditions you were shooting in....

it is slightly tilted, but given the chance to take the shot again I'd probably fire the flash to light up (at least a litte) the front of the columns, and I dont know what f stop you were using, but if it was something below say 11 I'd certainly bump it up to get more of a starburst effect from the lights.

nice shot, I like the feel.

Well, floggingkyle, he says he set the aperture to f10 ...

... and I personally think f10 was a small enough aperture for some nice star effects on the lights, I like them the way they are as much as I like this whole photo. Exposure cannot have been too easy with the well lit area behind the columns and dark night everywhere else.

The only nitpick I have is that we have to click on a link to get to the photo, it would have been nicer to see it right here in your post (at a size of max. 800 pixels in width). ;) Other than that I think you were quite successful here.

Oh, by the way: welcome to ThePhotoForum, Muscus!

Thanks for the comments guys. It may seem a bit tilted but that may in part be due to the design of the building. Maybe it is tilted..
Anyways, I went and played with the raw files a bit and this is what I came up with; which ones do you guys prefer? This one seems a bit bland in terms of color but the only lights that are lighting the scene are the same color.. I dunno.. critique please!

conhall2.jpg

I like the first one better.

Can we have permission to play with these jpg files a little?

Most definately! If you want the raw files I can send those over too =D

Most reactions

Back