Night pictures

EmoLip

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The other night I was trying to take pictures of the moon. For some reason when I switched my camera to night mode, the shudder speed was extra slow. I switched it to automatic and I had the same deal. All my pictures were blurred. What do I do in order to take better night pictures? Any tips?

I am currently using a Canon Rebel XTi.

Thanks.

Are you using a tripod? If not that is an absolute must to take good night photos.

We are looking into tripods soon. But is there any way to get around the slow shudder speed? Or is that the reason for the tripod?

Taking a photo of the moon properly exposed is not a night shot. The moon is very bright and a fast shutter and ordinary aperture would suffice.

As for actual night shots (which would result in the moon looking more like the sun) the light levels are low, and therefore the shutter speed needs to be slowed down to allow more light to excite the light sensors or expose film.

The only way around it is to let more light in (not an option at this extreme level), or up the sensitivity (also not an option because of the high noise levels). A tripod or some other support for the camera is a must.

OK I get it now. Thanks guys!

Buy a tripod regardless, and don't buy an el cheapo wal-mart one. Spend at least $150 on one.

Most reactions

Back