Night Train C&C appreciated

kanuski

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been having some fun with light painting recently. I am having difficulty finding subject matter out here on the prairies but I did find this the other night.
What do you like? dislike? What could I do to make these better?
30 sec., f5.6, iso 3200.
270A2906.jpg
270A2908.jpg
270A2909.jpg
270A2910.jpg

I like #3 best -- mainly in terms of composition. It's also the most natural to my eye. I think #1 might have been cool if you'd gotten a little more glint off the tracks, possibly with a yellow or orange gel on the flash to mimic the setting sun.

I think they are pretty good.

I am wanting to see more of the train, so maybe another angle to show down the side of the train?

The dark sky is cool, but I could see a little earlier in the day possibly working as well.

I like # 3 the best
but I hope the train wasn't moving

Thanks for the input. No, the train was mot moving. It has neen parked there on a side rail for several weeks.

Thanks for the input. No, the train was mot moving. It has neen parked there on a side rail for several weeks.
Nice
Then I would have liked to seen a shot just a bit to the right to get some of the train going back into the distance. Other than that, I like the shot and colors/sun. .. assuming it's more than just the 1 engine.

Your wish is my command.
270A2904.jpg 270A2905.jpg
I didn't like these as much. The first is not as clear, maybe because it has been cropped (a lot) and not focused right. The second has the bright lights in the back.
I knocked the highlights down in LR. Too much?
270A2905-2.jpg

I like the last one. You're right about the clarity of other one, though - otherwise, the reflections on the side of the loco are interesting.

oh that factory back there ... ouch. in PS it could be taken out.

Your wish is my command.
View attachment 84701 View attachment 84702
I didn't like these as much. The first is not as clear, maybe because it has been cropped (a lot) and not focused right. The second has the bright lights in the back.
I knocked the highlights down in LR. Too much?
View attachment 84703

NO! Don't take out the factory in the background--that's what made the final image come together!
The last image-showing the side of the train is great. In art we often want a foreground, mid ground, and background in our compositions. These add interest when the elements are composed properly.

That image works because the train--not very interesting by itself--is now offset to the left and you have the lead-in lines of the other train tracks on the right--as foreground--then you have that great factory structure in the background as a secondary center of interest.

Nice job! Jerry V.

Thanks, Jerry. I didn't like it at first because the lights were too bright. It is actually a grain terminal. I live in Saskatchewan, eh.

NO! Don't take out the factory in the background--that's what made the final image come together!
The last image-showing the side of the train is great. In art we often want a foreground, mid ground, and background in our compositions. These add interest when the elements are composed properly.

That image works because the train--not very interesting by itself--is now offset to the left and you have the lead-in lines of the other train tracks on the right--as foreground--then you have that great factory structure in the background as a secondary center of interest.

Nice job! Jerry V.

I totally agree with this. The factory in the background makes this a much more interesting composition.

I would desaturate the yellow from the image to provide a more white light to match your light painting.

I like the distant lights, not too bright, though. I also liked the light on the track in front of the train. If you are going to do it again, I would like the light on the track but not reflected by the train, paint from the side, perhaps.

Most reactions

Back