Night video with DSLR

northernlightblog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I have been photographing stills for a long time (mainly nature and macro photography), but I am wondering how could I set a camera to get night landscape videos.
A wide angle lens is obviously the choice for this, and it is logical to think of the highest aperture possible. I have been trying to get night videos with a 24mm f1.4 lens, but even boosting the ISO values to the limits show only darkness on the video. I have tried to reduce the contrast, put everything as clear as possible, and even lighting it up with software in post-processing, but I cannot make it work.

Is there any suggestion I should follow to get night landscapes on video, not being timelapses?

DSLR's for video are great in low light, not no light. There needs to be some sort of light source in order to pick up anything. And unless your using several arrisun's to light your scene at night, you won't have a chance.
My advice would be to film during the day to get the sharpest footage and then play around with the colour in post to get a night effect.

What camera are you using? Are you in manual mode? Get cinestyle

-Ken Turner

It can be done at very high ISOs, wide apertures and some cleanup in post.

Here is a hacked GH2 Shooting night landscapes at ISO12800 with Neat Video cleanup:

Last edited by a moderator:
A little light goes a long way - here is a hacked GH2 at ISO10000 with the Nokton 25mm f0.95 on the street at night:

[video=vimeo;32204670]http://vimeo.com/32204670[/video]

You didn't mention what shutter speed you're using, that's obviously important.

In some cases it's correct that you may only get dark video if there is NO ambient light because unlike photography, which allows unlimited shutter speed, you're limited to 1/25 sec shutter speed with video.

If you're using a Canon DSLR then google the term "Magic Lantern Firmware". It's a hacked version of the firmware that will give you better control of ALL your settings. That should give you some more options regarding your night shooting.

Good luck!

Most reactions

Back