Nightclub Photography

Get used to the mediocre personal opinions everyone has on here.

hmmmmm.... you're saying we all have average opinions? That makes no sense.
So your opinions are the only ones with merit?

Get used to the mediocre personal opinions everyone has on here. Your pictures are sweet.

Great comment there. I'm sure you made a bunch of people's **** lists, including mine

whoa there anxiety twins.... What I meant is, that for the most part... I "feel" that most people go beyond constructive criticism and just start pointing out things that really are just nit picking in my opinion. As if they felt the need to find a flaw in the picture and add it to their post.

You think the chick looks too much like Buddha...that's fine, I don't see how that will help, being that its probably just the club strobe lights or the 4 hours they spent frying their fake tittays in a salon. But that comment, although perfectly fine, reminded me of other stuff I've seen which is just retarded, therefore....making me post what i posted. :)

As far as the **** list... I hope I'm on the top. I'm here to learn not make friends. But I digress,[/sarcasm] and honestly hope I didn't offend anyone with such racy accusations that I used in my post [/sarcasm]

like other people's C&C (at least in your opinion), fueling the flame doesn't really help in this situation. if you're here to learn something then learn how to appologize when needed, and when things should and shouldn't be said.

anyway, i love how your subjects are amazingly sharp while the backgrounds show motion and movement. i'm just wondering how you got your subjects that sharp with such slow shutters

im really feeling your pov in your pictures and how your shots are not just dead on frontal view...be careful with your tinting because i agree when you use the orange tint it almost takes away from the pictures. also be careful with blurring

but as more of a question i also would like to know what setting you are using on your camera while you take these club action shots..

hmmmmm.... you're saying we all have average opinions? That makes no sense.
So your opinions are the only ones with merit?

Great comment there. I'm sure you made a bunch of people's **** lists, including mine

whoa there anxiety twins.... What I meant is, that for the most part... I "feel" that most people go beyond constructive criticism and just start pointing out things that really are just nit picking in my opinion. As if they felt the need to find a flaw in the picture and add it to their post.

You think the chick looks too much like Buddha...that's fine, I don't see how that will help, being that its probably just the club strobe lights or the 4 hours they spent frying their fake tittays in a salon. But that comment, although perfectly fine, reminded me of other stuff I've seen which is just retarded, therefore....making me post what i posted. :)

As far as the **** list... I hope I'm on the top. I'm here to learn not make friends. But I digress,[/sarcasm] and honestly hope I didn't offend anyone with such racy accusations that I used in my post [/sarcasm]

like other people's C&C (at least in your opinion), fueling the flame doesn't really help in this situation. if you're here to learn something then learn how to appologize when needed, and when things should and shouldn't be said.

anyway, i love how your subjects are amazingly sharp while the backgrounds show motion and movement. i'm just wondering how you got your subjects that sharp with such slow shutters

erm, I didn't write any of those so why do I need to apologize? :confused:

FYI, the only physical filter I used is my UV filter and didn't add any tint in my PP. no attempt to color correct at all. and yes, I use an external flash.

Last edited:
a few more. not too orangy I hope :cool:

DSC_1614nx.jpg

DSC_8682nx.jpg

DSC_7688nx.jpg

DSC_9867nx.jpg

DSC_8953nx.jpg

DSC_6828nx.jpg

so how are you taking these? diffused flash with longish exposure?

Wondering the same thing.

I have looked at about 80% of your albums and it seems like you have some strobe set up around the place? Maybe those are just other lights

~Michael~

i use an sb-800 with the diffuser that comes with it. no other light sources other than what's available in the surroundings. i usually shoot at iso 800 and sometimes at 1000 to get the ambient light but it all depends on where i'm shooting.

Seems like your using a double exposure to get those crazy lights imposed over the scene....either using a double exposure or layering images in photoshop....pretty cool effect, but A LOT of post processing. I also have a hunch that some of them are probably processed HDR's from a single exposure, and alot of High pass filtering and overlaying.

The reason I can tell that the lights are layered IN SOME of the pictures from a different exposure is that lights streaming (blurring) and within the same picture a girls hair is frozen in action (actually in one of them it looks like someone drew hearts with a light)...you cannot achieve that with a single exposure (while stopping the action on your subject), which seems why alot of people are confused about what kind of lighting you used to capture the pictures.

Interesting technique...I might try a few of those at my next wedding! Nice pictures, just have an issue with the skin tones....I know HDR processing really messes with skin tones.

Just signed up as I have an interest and some experience in nightclub photography.

you cannot achieve that with a single exposure (while stopping the action on your subject), which seems why alot of people are confused about what kind of lighting you used to capture the pictures.

The flash set to be fired second curtain will allow nice FX with the ambient light and freeze elements of the subject. The thing is that you need to be pretty close to your subject. I found that this closeness can cause shadows under the subject's chin.

Hai, Great credit to you for these pictures, I love the content, maybe they are I little orange, it doesn't bother me too much at all. :thumbup:

Trev

Seems like your using a double exposure to get those crazy lights imposed over the scene....either using a double exposure or layering images in photoshop....pretty cool effect, but A LOT of post processing. I also have a hunch that some of them are probably processed HDR's from a single exposure, and alot of High pass filtering and overlaying.

nope :thumbdown:

The flash set to be fired second curtain will allow nice FX with the ambient light and freeze elements of the subject.

yup! :thumbup:

Hai, Great credit to you for these pictures, I love the content, maybe they are I little orange, it doesn't bother me too much at all. :thumbup:

Trev

thanks! :D

here are a few more from tuesday. more at NightlifeXtion.com

Club%20Pic%20001.jpg

Club%20Pic%20011.jpg

Club%20Pic%20053.jpg

Club%20Pic%20033.jpg

Club%20Pic%20041.jpg

Club%20Pic%20067.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back