Nightclub Photography

Nice, I like the colours and movement

i wonder u managed with so slow shutter speed. wonderful series. congrats.

Are you using to separate images (one slow, one fast) to come up with these?

more new ones.

Club%20Pic%20008.jpg

Club%20Pic%20018.jpg

Club%20Pic%20022.jpg

Club%20Pic%20041.jpg

Club%20Pic%20054.jpg

Club%20Pic%20030.jpg

Hey, these pics are great -- Ok, so I am new on here and hope you don't mind me asking some advice.
I'm going to a gig next week, and want to take pics. I would guess under similar lighting conditions? So, I have a Nikon P90. Can anybody please give me advice re ISO, aperture and shutter speeds for these conditions?

Your camera has a few good things going for it: You can shoot at 64 or 100 speed for reasonable clarity. You can set the aperture and focus manually, so the camera doesn't screw up. You can override the white balance manually to flash or daylight. Your camera takes Nigh AA batteries so you'll never run out of power with a pocketful of cheap spares! Awesome.
All you need to worry about are that the lens is barely wide enough, and that the camera has that stupid little on-camera flash. I'll give you my opinion. Get a big handheld flash, like a potato masher style Metz or Sunpak 555, and attach a "peanut slave." If you care enough, you'll figure this out. You can diffuse this monster flash (if you want) with a big bounce, or some sort of physically large light modifier that you buy, or make out of foam core. Read up on this or find an old school photojournalist. They all know how. Now, get a small chunk of processed slide film that is at the beginning of the roll. You know, the stuff you throw away that didn't have any pictures on it. It's black to the eye, but infrared goes right through it. Cover your stupid little on-camera flash with this. Yes. Just tape it on or something. Now the on camera flash is an invisible signal to the peanut slave, and voila! Off camera flash.

Hi Anniebee,
How did the shoot go? Sorry for not reading this sooner but then again, I'm not familiar with the P90. Anyway, just wanted to comment on the use of powerful flash and bouncing. If you want to incorporate colorful ambient light, stay away from them! I use an SB-800 and even that is too powerful sometimes. Anyway, haven't posted for a while so here's a few:

Club%20Pic%20025.jpg

Club%20Pic%20018.jpg

Club%20Pic%20070.jpg

Club%20Pic%20030.jpg

Club%20Pic%20019.jpg

Club%20Pic%20051.jpg

Club%20Pic%20067.jpg

Club%20Pic%2038.jpg

So pretty much, its a 1 second exposure with a rear slave flash off camera. Edited in that LucisArts 2. Are you holding the flash?

flash looks mounted on hot shoe to me.

Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone could help me? I use a canon 300D with an external flash and diffuser but im having a little trouble with capturing ambient light in the background of my subjects was wondering if you guys could help me out and give me some tips? e.g what ISO, aperture and shutter speed i should be using?
Cheers!

for club photography, i typically shoot at ISO 800, f4, 1/10s. But i also shoot with a Canon 7D. You will have to have to adjust given you surroundings.

ditto on the settings, but as the man said, it depends on the venue. no fix way. go with the flow.

Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone could help me? I use a canon 300D with an external flash and diffuser but im having a little trouble with capturing ambient light in the background of my subjects was wondering if you guys could help me out and give me some tips? e.g what ISO, aperture and shutter speed i should be using?
Cheers!

Set it to manual and set your shutter to go a little longer and it will pick up that light.

Most reactions

Back