Nightclub photography

igloopants

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What gear do I need to do event photography in nightclubs?

A good flash I assume? I have a Nikon D90.

what else can you get if your going to be moving around the whole time. powerful flash and i would recommend figuring out the best settings on your camera before you start taking the photos. that way youre prepared.

...and a prime lens.
When I go out and I i know it'll be dark I take my flashgun , 50mm 1.8 (very wide aperture - higher shutter speeds) and Sigma 10-20 4-5.6 (since it's wide and here works the length-speed rule - handheld always shoot at least 1/x seconds , where x is the focal length. Here it is 10mm so 1/10 s. gets enough light and the quality is ok)

Settings? As I said, set it on Tv or Shutter speed priority (ok, i didn't say this), set the shutter speed to 1/(lens length) sec. and I guess ISO800-1600? WB - Fluorescent or Tungsten.

I'm not a genius photographer so I can't guarantee great shots with my help, though.

My Nikon came with the twin lens kit (18-55 and 55-200).

Either of these would be ok?

I would suggest getting a firm grasp on how to use the search button on this forum- it will produce a bounty of information on this very subject- INSTANTLY.

p!nK

Leave the 55-200. Someone might confuse it for a can of Guinness.

My Nikon came with the twin lens kit (18-55 and 55-200).

Either of these would be ok?

Maybe in a VERY well lit place, otherwise I'm going to say no. I use a Tamron 28-70 2.8 which does a pretty good job of getting some good shot of the band and crowd. I also use a SB-600.

i did some shot of a band the other day, i was using my d90 with a 50mm 1.8 and a sb-600 + a large bounce card. i was happy with the result.

the only thing is a 2.8 zoom lens would have been better.
to get a full band shot, i had to move to the back of the place.

i did some shot of a band the other day, i was using my d90 with a 50mm 1.8 and a sb-600 + a large bounce card. i was happy with the result.

the only thing is a 2.8 zoom lens would have been better.
to get a full band shot, i had to move to the back of the place.

DId you happen to posts those shots? Just wondering cause I would love to see those. I have the same setup but using a 35mm 1/8.

Thanks guys.

So I might have to get another lens? Something quicker?

Would there be a lens that I could use in nightclubs that would also double as being good for shooting sport?

Honestly, not to be rude, but have you searched the forum?

Nightclub photography, and Sports Photography are regular reoccuring questions, and there is a wealth of info to be found, from people who don't even come around anymore.

To answer your question, yes, fast glass is needed for both.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back