nightime photoshoot

well i was supposed to do it tonight...we are going to have bad weather so i couldnt...BUT im kinda happy because i ordered the 430ex flash and it will be here thursday...and friday night i can use it

well i was supposed to do it tonight...we are going to have bad weather so i couldnt...BUT im kinda happy because i ordered the 430ex flash and it will be here thursday...and friday night i can use it
Congrats, enjoy your flash :)

I SO disagree with a lot of the advice in this thread.

:thumbsup: I hate it when people just say shoot with a faster larger aperture as the end all solution. It's one way to obtain a faster shutter setting but not the only nor the best way.

To add to Nate's response....

You have two different exposures (at any given ISO) involved and each is controlled differently.

First, you have ambient exposure. This is controlled by the combination of Shutter and Aperture.

Second, you have exposure from flash. This is controlled by the flash's output and aperture. As Nate pointed out, shutter setting doesn't matter for exposure from flash (as long as you stay under sync speed).

If you adjust the aperture, you are changing the exposure of both ambient and flash
If you adjust the shutter, you are changing the exposure of just ambient
If you adjust the flash's power, you are changing the exposure of the subject illuminated by flash.

I recommend some good reading: www.strobist.com for more details.

btw... I would rather shoot with an older flash in full manual than resort to using the on-board flash. Better yet... get the flash off of the camera. (warning be wary of trigger voltages when choosing older flashes).

Good luck finding the 430 ex, the ex II was released and the ex is discontinued.

Of course -- that's cuz I bought my 430EX a month ago :)

With what advice? The only stuff that had been said was if he did not wish to use the flash, the 50 1.8 would be the lens to use.... That's perfectly sound advice.

See below for your answer.

:thumbsup: I hate it when people just say shoot with a faster larger aperture as the end all solution. It's one way to obtain a faster shutter setting but not the only nor the best way.

depth of field at 1.8 depends on where your subject is wher eyou are and where th e back ground is. you probably will need to experiment

Most reactions

New Topics

Back