Nighttime in the city

Ooo! I like #3 and, of course, #2.

I didn't know you were in NYC! My wife has family in Brooklyn, so we frequent the city.

I'm up in the suburbs but like to get down into the city when I can. It's only an hour.
So... upstate? My wife jokes that anything out of the city is upstate. :laugh2:

Love them all...Number 2 is my favorite though. The timing with the smoke/steam and the Hotel Empire sign is phenomenal...and kudos for the Seinfeld clip. I feel like Seinfeld clips would make every thread better. :)

Pretty much. There are some in Manhattan that think the Bronx is 'upstate'! ;)

I figure within the reach of Metro North is 'suburbs' and beyond that is 'upstate.' And I'm only halfway up the line! :D

I lived in White Plains for a little while, and that was nice because I could walk to Metro North station and the express to Grand Central was about 35 minutes.

Love them all...Number 2 is my favorite though. The timing with the smoke/steam and the Hotel Empire sign is phenomenal...and kudos for the Seinfeld clip. I feel like Seinfeld clips would make every thread better. :)

I absolutely agree!

And thank you, too :)

I absolutely agree!

And thank you, too :)

Thank you! Love your photos!

Pretty much. There are some in Manhattan that think the Bronx is 'upstate'! ;)

I figure within the reach of Metro North is 'suburbs' and beyond that is 'upstate.' And I'm only halfway up the line! :D

I lived in White Plains for a little while, and that was nice because I could walk to Metro North station and the express to Grand Central was about 35 minutes.
This is true. As long as you can get a train into the City, I guess you're okay. :wink-6: Being 35 minutes via express away from the city is awesome!

White Plains is nice! I've visited once. My wife also has family in Bronx... and Whitestone. She has family everywhere. haha

The first two are both very good. Have you considered burning in the foreground in the first a bit?

The first two are both very good. Have you considered burning in the foreground in the first a bit?

I hadn't, actually. I guess because it's so dark overall, I hadn't considered burning, but I'll see what it looks like when I get home tonight..I kind of liked the three bright spots - the pavement, the lamppost, and the cast light in the tunnel - that leads you though the picture but perhaps the pavement is a bit too bright?

Yeah, I thought if it were a little darker it would still lead in, but not compete as much.

Yeah, I thought if it were a little darker it would still lead in, but not compete as much.

Good point. It'll give me a good excuse to practice my burning :) I've used the tools to some success in some other pictures but still need practice to use them seamlessly in larger, prominent areas.

It'll give me a good excuse to practice my burning :) I've used the tools to some success in some other pictures but still need practice to use them seamlessly in larger, prominent areas.

For me, "burning in" in software (i.e., darkening) is useful only for small areas. For something like this a brightness adjustment layer with a layer mask is much better, allowing more options for small adjustments later. Basically, you start with a black layer mask (blocks effect of adjustment, at least that's the convention in PS) and paint white (allows full effect) with a "fuzzy" brush on the area you want to darken. If the effect is still evident around the edges, you can paint shades of gray around it to create a sort of gradient. If you want to adjust later, you can change the degree of brightness adjustment in the layer or change the painting on the mask.

I tried to explain this relatively briefly, so apologies if it's not clear, but if you have questions, send me a message and I'll try to clarify.

wow, amazing
Love them all

I wonder if my AE-1 still works?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back