Nighttime in the city

It'll give me a good excuse to practice my burning :) I've used the tools to some success in some other pictures but still need practice to use them seamlessly in larger, prominent areas.

For me, "burning in" in software (i.e., darkening) is useful only for small areas. For something like this a brightness adjustment layer with a layer mask is much better, allowing more options for small adjustments later. Basically, you start with a black layer mask (blocks effect of adjustment, at least that's the convention in PS) and paint white (allows full effect) with a "fuzzy" brush on the area you want to darken. If the effect is still evident around the edges, you can paint shades of gray around it to create a sort of gradient. If you want to adjust later, you can change the degree of brightness adjustment in the layer or change the painting on the mask.

I tried to explain this relatively briefly, so apologies if it's not clear, but if you have questions, send me a message and I'll try to clarify.

Oooh, layers! Definitely pushing my boundaries :) Oddly excited, though. I'll try to do some reading up to learn how to follow those steps in Corel (I'm using Paint Shop Pro 5).

wow, amazing
Love them all

I wonder if my AE-1 still works?

Only one way to find out...:devilish:

(and thank you!!)

Beautiful but you didn't include my favorite from the set :cool-98:

Really great shots! My absolute favorite is Hotel Empire.

It'll give me a good excuse to practice my burning :) I've used the tools to some success in some other pictures but still need practice to use them seamlessly in larger, prominent areas.

For me, "burning in" in software (i.e., darkening) is useful only for small areas. For something like this a brightness adjustment layer with a layer mask is much better, allowing more options for small adjustments later. Basically, you start with a black layer mask (blocks effect of adjustment, at least that's the convention in PS) and paint white (allows full effect) with a "fuzzy" brush on the area you want to darken. If the effect is still evident around the edges, you can paint shades of gray around it to create a sort of gradient. If you want to adjust later, you can change the degree of brightness adjustment in the layer or change the painting on the mask.

I tried to explain this relatively briefly, so apologies if it's not clear, but if you have questions, send me a message and I'll try to clarify.

Harold Davis's book Creative Black & White discusses this technique (or something similar), among others. The sections regarding various techniques in PS for conversions is nicely done (IMO).

I actually have my pinhole that will take 4x5 sheet film, but I need a tank adapter, some light sealed trays, or a darkroom to develop it. Unless I want to just slosh it around in the Patterson and see what comes out ;)
Actually you don't. Three reel Patterson and MOD54:( ( MOD54 by MOD Photographic- Large format 4x5 sheet film processor designed to fit in the Paterson 3 Reel tank - Invented by Photographer Morgan O'Donovan. ) is all you need. You will have it, I will tell you a couple of secrets, how to use it (there are always tricks :1398:) .

I've seen that. I would need a new Patterson tank - I've got a two reel tank. I'll probably buy it at some point, but at the moment, 112 pounds is too much to spend on the tank and adapter. That's $175 USD!

Of course buying from the company itself will be expensive. I checked on Adorama, B&H and Freestyle, and they all carry that adapter, but to buy that plus the tank will still cost me $90-100.

Last edited:
I bought my MOD54 from a guy who couldn't master it's use for 30 pounds (plus shipping from Englnad :1247:) Complete tank I got second hand to. For $12 plus own pick up. Look around, NY is much bigger than Toronto.

Good point. I'll see what I can find in the used markets. Still, it's a lower priority for me at the moment. I still have some direct positive paper and can also try paper negatives in the meantime.

Most reactions

Back