NIK collection fun

JonA_CT

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just playing around with Analog EFX and Silver EFX in Nik Collection on a snap shot of my friend, Mike, drinking some Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout from Founders Brewing, and smoking a clay colonial-style pipe with some super rough tobacco.

Normal LR and PS adjustments...
mike normal by jwa04, on Flickr

Analog
mike filtered by jwa04, on Flickr

Silver
mike black and white by jwa04, on Flickr

Always after me lucky charms.

The first commercial color film arrived in 1906. I started shooting color film more than 40 years ago. In defense of 110 years of color film I have never seen a color film look that bad. No offense OP I assume NIK is responsible. (B&W looks OK).

The whole analog simulation fad leaves me scratching my head but if you want a film simulation I made you one:

film_sim.jpg

Joe

I actually like the "normal" processing look much much better. Now if you are working with NIK in LR that explains some as you really need to use it in Layers in CS or PS so that you can mask ... I use NIK.

Enjoy. The Nik collection is great fun. I assume you put these in the just for fun section for that very reason. There is a lot to that collection, I think i've tried about 3% of it so far

Always after me lucky charms.

Are we suggesting he looks like a leprechaun? Processing looks too green? Not sure what you're going for here.

The first commercial color film arrived in 1906. I started shooting color film more than 40 years ago. In defense of 110 years of color film I have never seen a color film look that bad. No offense OP I assume NIK is responsible. (B&W looks OK).

The whole analog simulation fad leaves me scratching my head but if you want a film simulation I made you one:

Joe

Hah! I really wasn't taking this too seriously...I took a few pictures while we were brewing beer today, and he wanted a picture for his facebook/twitter accounts. It gave me something to mess around with while my wife was watching some god awful show on TV last night. His favorite was the super saturated one I posted here. I blame Instagram.

As a side note -- I'm almost 30, and my memory of processed film is pretty shaky. I remember my mom had a Canon SLR of some sort I think from the 80s maybe (super sad when I found out she donated it to goodwill shortly before I became interested in photography)...and then a Kodak Advantix camera, and then just those disposable film cameras that were everywhere. Even still, I'm not sure what my mom did with all of the prints. I've been monitoring craigslist waiting for the right film camera to work with -- maybe the Minolta XD11 I saw this morning.

I actually like the "normal" processing look much much better. Now if you are working with NIK in LR that explains some as you really need to use it in Layers in CS or PS so that you can mask ... I use NIK.

I was just a Lightroom warrior until I downloaded NIK a couple weeks ago, and have only started playing around in Photoshop now that I realized it is way easier to use NIK in PS. For the most part, I just use the Sharpening and Noise reduction tools, but the others are there for me when I'm ready to figure out how they work. I also have a lot of reading to do on PS before I'll be able to do much with it.

Enjoy. The Nik collection is great fun. I assume you put these in the just for fun section for that very reason. There is a lot to that collection, I think i've tried about 3% of it so far

Yup! Just messing around for now. I don't even know how to use half of the tools!

Joe

Hah! I really wasn't taking this too seriously...I took a few pictures while we were brewing beer today, and he wanted a picture for his facebook/twitter accounts. It gave me something to mess around with while my wife was watching some god awful show on TV last night. His favorite was the super saturated one I posted here. I blame Instagram.

OK -- you're good. I also blame Instagram. Sure there were cr*ppy consumer market film cameras and cheap film. Today there's cr*ppy phone cameras. If NIK advertised Analog Efex Pro as "turn your cr*ppy phone pics into cr*ppy film pics" I'm happy. So what's that "Pro" suffix doing on the end of the product name?

And it's not just their bad imitation of faded film that drives me nuts. You posted those photos full-res on Flickr. Here's a 100% crop of a section of your analog efex photo:

nik_film_sim.jpg

Seriously?!! Yes, we got some dust and occasional scratches on our film, but it was not standard professional practice to store our processed film in the cat's litter box! I'd have to scan 50 negs/slides to get that kind of accumulated dirt. We kept our film clean and spotted the dust that did show up. In the spirit of your activity at the time here's a actual untouched film scan: King of Beer so you can see the average amount of dirt that would show up and then here's the processed film scan: King of Beer.

You'd think from looking at software like Analog Efex Pro that all of us using film back in the good old days used to tape our processed film to the window to accelerate fading and then walk on it for a couple days before we used it.

Sorry for ranting in your thread.

As a side note -- I'm almost 30, and my memory of processed film is pretty shaky. I remember my mom had a Canon SLR of some sort I think from the 80s maybe (super sad when I found out she donated it to goodwill shortly before I became interested in photography)...and then a Kodak Advantix camera, and then just those disposable film cameras that were everywhere. Even still, I'm not sure what my mom did with all of the prints. I've been monitoring craigslist waiting for the right film camera to work with -- maybe the Minolta XD11 I saw this morning.

My son is your age -- also almost 30. He brews his own beer as well. The XD-11 is a good camera. Minolta glass from that period was pretty good. We actually took good photos back then -- film was (and is) wonderful technology. Done right it doesn't look anything like what Analog Efex churns out.

Joe

Most reactions

New Topics

Back