Nikkor 18-200mm vs Nikkor 18-200mm?

TJ K

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok so I was just on Nikons website and saw that they have an 18-200mm listed as new and below it the same thing. What is the difference then between these two lenses? Thanks a lot!

A zoom lock, and a New label

VRII adds another stop of VR.

Nikon sells a lot of these lenses and they make a nice profit on each one. They are for photographers that don't want to bother with changing lenses, at the expense of some of the worst barrel distortion, at the short end, money can buy and focus that is soft throughout the entire focal range because it's a more than 10x zoom.

I got all excited. Then I realised the zoom lock locks it only at wide angle and does nothing to fix the zoom creep :(.

The VRII would be interesting, because as much as I hate this lens and love to vocalise each and every feature of it that made me hate it while I used it for a few months, the VR in the original was actually exceptionally good.

I've had 2 Nikon 18-200's... I'll stick with my Sigma 18-250 for my walk around 'does everything great, does nothing spectacular' lens, although it does constantly surprise me.

I got all excited. Then I realised the zoom lock locks it only at wide angle and does nothing to fix the zoom creep :(.

The VRII would be interesting, because as much as I hate this lens and love to vocalise each and every feature of it that made me hate it while I used it for a few months, the VR in the original was actually exceptionally good.
Is that really all the zoom lock works for? Wow that kinda sucks eh? And vrII would be interesting to see how well you could really keep that image sharp at low speeds.

Most reactions

Back