Nikkor 18-300 AF-S

4rum

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Nikkor 18-300AF-S I see that there are 62 pages of discussions about Nikon lenses. I'm sure that this lens is discussed somewhere in there. I do have specific questions about one I just purchased.
The photos are not sharp and crisp and it is slower than pond water. Should I send it back?
I've been shooting a Nikkor 55-300 AF and am pretty satisfied with it considering the reviews of it. I was counting on the new 18-300 to be a significant upgrade. I'm using the lens on my Nikon D5100.
I would sure appreciate any comment on the quality of the lens and the images anyone is getting with one like it.
I've never sent anything back to Nikon. (haven't needed to) does anyone have experience with how they are with returns, repairs or complaints?

Thanks
'4rum

It's large and heavy, compared to the 18-200 VR. If you're shooting a small body camera like a D3200, etc... it may be pretty darn big.
It's fine on something like a D7000, etc.... quality wise, I liked mine. It's not a 24-70 f2.8 or anything, but it's better than most people would think.

All superzoom lenses (10x+ zoom range) have image quality issues of some sort.
Even using computers there are so many design compromises that have to be made to accommodate the zoom range they can only accommodate a hand full.

So barrel and pincushion distortion, soft focus, CA, and other optical aberrations are part of the image quality cost for the convenience superzoom lenses offer.

55-300 mm is only a 5.45x zoom range. 18-300 mm is a 16.7x zoom range.

Most reactions

Back