Nikkor 35mm f/1.8, to get or not to get?

sarasphotos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want the 35mm f/1.8 nikkor AF-S lens soooo bad but I don't know if it is worth it. A majority of my work in engagement photos, babies/kids, weddings....so mainly people! Is it worth it? I know it is a prime lens and not a zoom so I will be moving all around to get the correct composition and stuff but I want to know if the QUALITY of the photos will be OUTSTANDINGLY better than my kit lens? Help with me with this decision! Please! lol :)

It's a great lens and a definite upgrade from your kit lens. The bokeh is wonderful and the 1.8 speed is a nice thing to have.

Two shots I've taken with the lens:
Look Closely | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
DSC_0881 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Buy it and enjoy : D

Are you sure about the bokeh? I have it and the bokeh is really nervous and harsh on mine. Nothing like wonderful bokeh from my 120-300 f2.8 or 70-200 f2.8 but I would expect that from a wider angle lens.

I think it is a great lens. I have it. It is well worth it IMHO.

Are you sure about the bokeh? I have it and the bokeh is really nervous and harsh on mine. Nothing like wonderful bokeh from my 120-300 f2.8 or 70-200 f2.8 but I would expect that from a wider angle lens.

From my experience, yes.

DSC_0844 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
DSC_0867 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
DSC_0956 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
**** the newspaper | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

See shots above^
Thats ok Bokeh IMO, but still doesn't hold a candle to the bokeh you get on longer lenses. I prefer the cream style bokeh where its just smoothness in the background with no defining features so I could be a bit biased.

But that said the 35 f1.8 is a great lens, I keep one on my d90 at all times.

It's a great lens and a definite upgrade from your kit lens. The bokeh is wonderful and the 1.8 speed is a nice thing to have.

Two shots I've taken with the lens:
Look Closely | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
DSC_0881 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Buy it and enjoy : D

Are you telling me that the $200 lens is not comparable to a $2,100 lens?!?

Is it hard to meter in certain situation since the aperture is so wide open? I take ALOT of outdoor photos...

It's fast, inexpensive and sharp. I love the lens and use it for people and to play with depth of field.

If you are shooting mostly people though, you'll have to get pretty close to have them fill the frame - something to keep in mind. But for the price you will not regret getting the lens.

Peace
Ed

If mostly for people the 50mm f1.8 is cheaper and more into people type shots. As the 35mm requires you to get closer and can lead people to become more self conscious and change their behavior which may change the shot. Both are great lenses. For me the 35mm was more about wider for indoors and tight spaces.

Are you telling me that the $200 lens is not comparable to a $2,100 lens?!?

:lol:

I have the nikon d3000 so I don't think the getting close will be too big of a problem because a 35mm on my camera is really a 50mm....

I will prob get it! Thanks for all the replies and pics to prove how great it is!

And I also believe that if you did go the 50 route, it would only work in manual focus on your 3000. I think you need to have a minimum of a D90 in order for it to AF.

And I also believe that if you did go the 50 route, it would only work in manual focus on your 3000. I think you need to have a minimum of a D90 in order for it to AF.
This. I thinks its totally worth it to go the 35mm route on the D3000. Some may say you can get used to manual focus but it really is that big of a deal. What other lenses do you own?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back