nikkor 35mm f/1.8

fred0000

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
fred80.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a D90 and my girfriend and brother both have the D60 I was wondering if the 35mm f/1.8 is worth the buy at $230 (or whatever it is) i dident even know it was out and i saw it in the shop today, it has the SWM wich is kinda nice, but i already have a 50mm f1/8, so i'm unsure if its worth the buy, any thoughts, or people that have used it?

edit: this is the lense i'm speaking of
http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/lens/af/dx/af-s_dx_35mmf_18g/

On a camera that has an APS-C sensor with a 1.5x crop factor a 50 mm gives the same FOV (Field-Of-View) of a 75 mm lens on a camera with a full frame sensor.

A 35 mm gives the FOV of a 52.5 mm on a full frame.

The 50 mm FOV is the closest to what the human eye see's. That is why it is a desireable focal length. So with the D90's APS-C sensor the 35mm is the closest you can get to that 50 mm FOV.

Last night Amazon.com had 10 of those lenses for $199.95 + shipping, just over $206.00. It's well worth the money.

even though I do have a 50mm f1.8 I think this is going to be the next lense I get.
any other input/comments if anyones used one would be aweosme

The lens does not have a good reputation. These are some or the problems I copied off a lens review.

"slow focus, weak casing, difficult to clean, lens creep". I shoot nikon too, so I hate saying this.

Craig

How can a prime lens have "lens creep"?

As for trading up from a 50MM - I wouldn't. There are probably bigger and better gaps to fill with that 230 dollars that the 35MM is not going to fill. Essentially you will have two standard tele lenses; there is not enough difference between what each can do to be worth, in my opinion, the cost to have both at the same time.

This thread would probably been better served in the Equipment forum. I don't see any relevance to the Beginners' Forum and Photo Gallery. Please review the structure of the forums.

I've had one of these - great lens, probably one of the best I've used. I did however trade it for a 35-70 f/2.8 simply because it was just too wide most of the time. For portraits I've switched to the 50mm F/1.8 usually.

I just shoot for enjoyment and the lens did a nice job - never had a single problem with it.

On a camera that has an APS-C sensor with a 1.5x crop factor a 50 mm gives the same FOV (Field-Of-View) of a 75 mm lens on a camera with a full frame sensor.

A 35 mm gives the FOV of a 52.5 mm on a full frame.

The 50 mm FOV is the closest to what the human eye see's. That is why it is a desireable focal length. So with the D90's APS-C sensor the 35mm is the closest you can get to that 50 mm FOV.

Last night Amazon.com had 10 of those lenses for $199.95 + shipping, just over $206.00. It's well worth the money.

I got in on that amazon deal :mrgreen:

The lens does not have a good reputation. These are some or the problems I copied off a lens review.

"slow focus, weak casing, difficult to clean, lens creep". I shoot nikon too, so I hate saying this.

Craig
Lens creep? Oops! How about a link to that review? :lmao:

And WTF does "difficult to clean" mean? That's a new one on me.

Most reactions

Back