Nikkor 50mm 1.8D or 1.4D???

I just read a lot of reviews and info on these lenses, and for my needs, I decided on the 50mm 1.8D. Good price, sharp, and good bokeh. That's what I wanted out of a 50mm lens.
There doesn't seem to be much difference between the 1.8D and 1.8G optically. Not to justify double the price. The 1.4 has great bokeh, and is a bit faster aperature.
Based on all of this, I chose the 1.8D.

Ha! I sold my 50mm F1.4G many moons ago... slow and un-sharp when compared to the silly little 50mm F1.8D. I bought another 1.8D and smiled all the way to the bank!!

we have the 50mm 1.8D and 50mm 1.4D
both are decent lenses for the money.
at one time, they were the "good" lenses, so don't be too quick to discount their usefulness even today.
not unlike the AF lenses before them.
honestly, I find the 50mm nikkor AF-D lenses to be a little quirky, and a little cheap, but not a bad lens overall.
we have used both for several years now without serious issues.
for the money, get the 85mm 1.8D and use a fast zoom for your 35mm and 50mm ranges.

i had the 50 1.4 G and traded it for the 1.8 G, its a better lens and its half price.

here some images i took with from f 1.8 to f10+

4.jpg

4.jpg

4.jpg

4.jpg

4.jpg

4.jpg

4.jpg

on the other side, the 50 1.8 D is still a really good lens for the money.

i had it for a while before buying the 1.4 G as i though it was going to be an upgrade. this is why i had to try the 1.8 G.

here is a couple shots with the 1.8 D

4.jpg

4.jpg

i shot this with the 50 1.4 G. one of the only shoot i did with it beside testing it and i was not really pleased.

look at the broken bokeh and was soft at 1.4, alot more softer than th 1.8 G wide open.

4.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back