Nikkor 50mm f/1.8

Slaphead

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Picked one up at the weekend cheap (well cheap by swiss standards, still cost twice what it costs in America). Bit of an impulse buy really, but did want a nice sharp lens for portraits.

I've not had a chance to use it yet, but I notice it's got an aperture ring (all my other lenses are G type). Now the question is do I now set the aperture via this ring, or can I still set the aperture in camera (Yeah I know, shoulda read the manual, but I'm at work right now, and this question just popped into my head)

I already know it won't autofocus on my D40x but it should do on the D90

Also anything else I should know about this lens - Sharpest aperture, pitfalls etc.

Though you don't say so, I'm assuming that this is the 'D' series lens. You should be able to set the aperture on the D40 body. As you state, no AF on the D40, but full function on the D90.

I can't tell you much about the lens, as I have the 1.4 D. I do have the old manual focus version of the 1.8, but I don't use it much. There are some reviews here.

yeh, you can't use the apeture ring... your D40 will tell you to lock at maximum aperture.

Congrats!

The lens is sharpest between f4 to 5.6

As with most lenses, it is sharpest when set two or three stops down from maximum. Still, I find it very usable at f/2.8 and even wide open if I can actually get the focus right.

If properly focused, that lens is sharp at every aperture.

LWW

Most reactions

Back