Nikkor 50mm f1.8 lens

mcopan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.triumphentertainment.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Im a noob. Why are there so many people with this 50mm f1.8 lens. What are the features, pros and cons to this lense. I also want a 50mm-200 mm lense. I have had Tamron lenses before and didnt like them with a cheap. Lens suggestions.

your gonna have to buy it. this is the only explanation i can give you :p:lmao:
its a GREAT lens for protrait, it has a wide aperture and its SHARP

Im a noob. Why are there so many people with this 50mm f1.8 lens. What are the features, pros and cons to this lense. I also want a 50mm-200 mm lense. I have had Tamron lenses before and didnt like them with a cheap. Lens suggestions.

Mcopan, which Tamrons have you had before and what didn't you like about them?

Yes. I have a (Japanese) Pentacon branded zoom like that. a 35-70. Looks quite solidly made until you handle it! Tamron made some decent primes though. Don't be put off totally.

Ive shot some "framable" photos with the D80 I had before with a simple kit lens. I have seen this website on the other threads around hear with some amazing shot with wide angle lenses 15mm and so on. I don't have all the money in the world and see that lenses can take up a good chunk of the pocket book.

I'm the same! Your question is one asked many times. The answers are kind of generic. Its a quality brand with great experience in designing/testing/making/marketing camera optics. So its good and for most people its more than good enough. Sharp, natural color rendition, well corrected for distortion, good build, neautral/pleasing bokeh. Nikon have successfully sold thousands of them and continue to do so because it's a quality tool. What you need is some example pictures made with it.

It's very cheap while still being very fast (f/1.8) and very sharp. Simple lens that's a great addition to anyone's bag.

It might be worth noting what camera you have, as this doesn't auto-focus on any Nikon body under the D90. It's not AF-S, which means that it doesn't have a focus motor in the lens itself. The camera body must have a focus motor in it to be able to auto-focus.

The 50mm f/1.8 will not auto focus on the D5000. Metering and everything will work, so you can still use it just fine, but it won't AF.

The 50mm f/1.8 will not auto focus on the D5000. Metering and everything will work, so you can still use it just fine, but it won't AF.
Yep, you would have to manually focus the lens.

But, your D5000 will help you do that.

The AF 50 mm f/1.8D is an electronic lens and sends distance info to the D5000.

You turn the lens focus ring, and when focus has been achieved the camera will light up the in-focus indicator light in the D5000 viewfinder.

The 50 mm is an ok portrait lens focal length , but the 85 mm or 105 mm, or 200 mm focal lengths are better.

It's very cheap while still being very fast (f/1.8) and very sharp. Simple lens that's a great addition to anyone's bag.

It might be worth noting what camera you have, as this doesn't auto-focus on any Nikon body under the D90. It's not AF-S, which means that it doesn't have a focus motor in the lens itself. The camera body must have a focus motor in it to be able to auto-focus.

The D80 has a focus motor as well.

Why do people like this lens? I have it, so you'll have a clue as to why this person likes this lens...

I like this lens because it's fast--it's a 1.8 which is GIGANTIC! It drinks available light, and allows me to shoot some great stuff in low light which would be difficult otherwise with either of the kit lenses. I like its size--it's small, and the right size to get in the pocket of a jacket or a hoodie and take along for whatever I'm doing.

The lens stops down to f/22 and returns TACK SHARP images. I've had some issues with it, getting it properly focused, but I worked all of that out and now I really can't complain because it's one of my favorite lenses in my bag. It's not menacing or threatening and when you point it at people they don't get freaked out.

It's cheap. You can buy one from a retail store (Wolf, Ritz) for around $110, and can find it on the internet for less than that.

I'm also shooting with a D5000, and while it doesn't autofocus, it's still important to learn how to manually focus and appreciate the AF features when you've got them. It is an absolutely great lens and I'd suggest it to anyone looking for a wonderful short length portrait lens or food photography lens.

Most reactions

Back