Nikkor 55-220 VR or Non VR

three_eyed_otter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello to all,

I recently purchased a Nikkon DX40 and I have 2 lenses: a Nikkor 55-200 and a Nikkor 55-200 VR. Is it worth keeping the "regular" 55-200 along w/the VR or should I unload the "regular". I guess, simply put, what I'm asking is--is having both lenses redundant?

TIA

have a good one
3Eo

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I heard that as well as obviously having VR, the VR version is a better performer optically. Even if that's not true, what would you gain from having both lenses? I can't see any reason for keeping the older one unless you plan to carry both in fear that one will break. On the other hand there are obvious advantages to getting rid of it: Money or value for trade, which would go towards buying another lens covering a different range instead of having two covering exactly the same.

Sell the non-vr version, IMHO

ZaphodB,

Thanks for welcoming me and the response. I was reading somewhere in a review that the VR lens is slightly slower in certain situations but I can't remember exactly. Anyways the reviewer talked about using both; personally I serious doubt I need both being that I'm a beginner to digital photography. The more I think about it, even if there was a big enough difference to justify having both I'm not sure I'd have the knowledge or willingness to deal w/both lenses for such minimal gains. I think I'll fill the coffers:drool:

This forum is really great--a wealth of information and a wonderful member disposition. I'm glad I stumbled across it.

have a good one
3Eo

Photozone shows they are very similar in nearly every regard. Sharpness is almost the same on average, vignetting is better on the VR, and CA is better on the non-VR.

No reason to keep both. Plus the VR lens is prettier.

Most reactions

Back