Nikkor 70-200 VR II lens thread "issue"

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by MrLogic, Jan 13, 2010.

1. MrLogic

MrLogic TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I haven't noticed it, but it looks like Nikon has a serious QC problem:

Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII thread issue: “that is normal”

By [NR] admin | January 12, 2010

UPDATE: I received a word that Nikon is looking into this issue and will have an official statement soon. Let’s wait and see.
    Here is the translated response from Nikon Beijing Service Center dated 01/11 regarding the previously reported 70-200 f/2.8 thread issue (source: xitek).
    “Failures Observed: lens thread defect at 200mm (the customer believes either thread or its coating peeling off). Inspection requested.
    Maintenance Performed: After inspection, thread of the lens submitted indeed has certain peeling. However, that is normal when the surface of that metal was manufactured. There, the alleged problem will not affect the len’s performance, rigidness, or function.”
    [​IMG]

See also: Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII problem seems to be wide spread | Nikon Rumors

And: Let’s see how widespread this thing is | Nikon Rumors

2. jackieclayton

jackieclayton TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    yikes.... for a $2300 pricetag you'd hope they fix this one quick!

Any opinions if the new VRII is worth the $400-$500 price increase from the first 70-200? I don't have either but just curious on how they compare to each other from user experience...

3. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I did a Google search and this issue is wide spread. It seems lots of people have a problem with the coating peeling off.

I'm somewhat shocked by Nikons response. Saying it's not a problem and is a normal byproduct of the manufacturing process is off base. How many other lenses do they manufacture which share this manufacturing defect?

It seems they continue to catch flak for the focal length issue as well (discussed here). There is a lot of controversy surrounding this new lens it seems.

On the upside, people report the lens is very sharp. :)

Hopefully Nikon does the right thing and recalls the lenses and fixes the problem. It seems they are trying to avoid this step at all costs right now. If enough people come forward and complain, they'll have to do something.

4. MrLogic

MrLogic TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  5. itznfb

itznfb TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'd say it's the only one. It would be all over the net if it was spread across product lines. Why would you be shocked at their response? Any type of failure like this will be downplayed until they have a solution in place. Then they'll go back and apologize... or pretend it never happened. That's the FU consumer best practice.

I'm glad I didn't ditch my VR for this disaster.

6. MrLogic

MrLogic TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    LOL, this guy may be onto something:

EdM Posted January 13, 2010 at 7:57 am | Permalink
    Saw the post here, checked my lens which was a XMas gift, and there it was. Fortunately it was purchased from B&H. Lens returned yesterday for refund. Poor workmanship is poor workmanship. None of my other Nikkor zooms show this ‘defect.’ If this thing was made in China then Nikon is in trouble. QC – nonexistant.

:lol: :thumbdown:

My 70-200 VR II doesn't seem to have this issue... yet. My dealer did talk about a "dust" issue, though. Saying there were QC issues... even then... and some of the new 70-200s had "dust" inside the lens. ****ing hell. :lol:

7. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
  8. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I disagree with the comment about the quality of products produced in China.

China is capable of producing extremely high quality products. The more you spend, the better the product. That's true in China, US, UK, etc. On the flip side, would you say everything made in the USA is of super high quality? No. It varies depending on who makes it.

Take Apple for example. Every iPhone, iMac, Macbook Pro, etc. is made in China. Not too many people would say Apple products are poorly made.

I have no problem buying quality products produced in China.

9. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    What I find comical are all of the experts on Canon's financials that are posting. They are saying the 5D2's price was a "panic price" as if Canon doesn't know what it costs them to produce a product and how to manage their profit margins. The last time I checked, Canon was a multi-billion dollar company that consistently turns profits.

That thread is a glowing example of why I disregard much of what I read by self professed "experts" on the internet (I'm not talking about Thom).

10. MrLogic

MrLogic TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Of course, but all Nikon's professional grade stuff is made in Japan anyway. AFAIK. There is no way the 70-200 VR II is produced in China, IMO. Parts of it, maybe, but not the final product. They take pride in that even though it isn't in their best interest.

I believe even the D700 is "made in Japan." A "prosumer" body, no less. The guy was probably "misinformed." ;)

11. Antithesis

Antithesis No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Nikon seems to have jumped the shark trying to meet demand on this one. I'd be absolutely livid if I dropped that kind of cheese on a lens and it had obvious defects.

And the umbrella statement that all of China has QC issues is probably wrong. I agree with inTempus on that one. Even though this lens is likely manufactured in Japan.

12. MrLogic

MrLogic TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Interesting response from Nikon Norway (if true):

Unofficial response from Nikon Norway

By [NR] admin | January 13, 2010

This is the response from Nikon Norway to a nikongear forum member. I have the feeling the official response from Nikon will not be much different:
    “There are no error or defect in your lens.
    What you see inside the lens from the front are not threads, but a flange that prevents light reflection inside the lens. In the flange there are some very small holes, closest to the “pores” that occurs natulig during a casting process because of the fine print of the foam used in molding the forms. This does not affect the lens performance in any way. There is nothing to peel off from these small holes. They also look bigger than they really are, due to the magnification of the front lens element.
    Nikon will publish an official response during this week as soon as it is available from Nikon centrally.”