Nikkor 70-200mm VR f/2.8 question

dhilberg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been thinking about getting this lens for about 6 months or so, but haven't got around to it yet. I plan on picking one up in the near future, but I'm concerned that one I buy it Nikon will introduce a replacement shortly after. :lol: It's been around since 2003 or so. Anyone heard of plans for a replacement? I searched the net and didn't find anything.

I have no doubts about its quality or performance, which are both superb. ;)

I don't know what nikon plans are but that is a great lens that will work for dx and fx so you can't go wrong. If the do introduce a new lens the price will go down aslong as the new lens is as good. if it sucks the price will go up.

My best lens came out in 1982 (Nikkor 85mm F/1.4). A good lens back then is *still* a good lens today. Besides, if you keep waiting, you just waste time missing all those shots that "could have been".

The Nikkor 70-200 is an awesome lens (I have it as well). If you have decided to invest in one, just do it... you will be happy. Truth to be told, that lens has been going up slowly. I picked mine up brand new a touch over a year ago for a bit over $1600Cdn delivered to my door. Today that same lens lists for $1620US (around $2300 Cdn with taxes, exchange and delivery).

No doubt that lens is awesome. If you are waiting because of money, consider the Tamron version of the 70-200 2.8. I have had the Nikkor version, and I have the Tamron version. It is just as sharp as the Nikon. The autofocus isn't quite as fast as the Nikon version, but only by a fraction of a second. It's a very nice lens.

If money is what is also one of then things that may be holding you back look at the AF-D 80-200 f/2.8
Can Be found for under $900

If you have an FX camera I'd probably be wary of the Nikon 70-200mm if you intend on shooting wide open all the time; as the vignetting is pretty bad. I still use the lens on my D3 and enjoy it; but the vignetting is terrible.

I was actually considering the 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-D but have heard the autofocus is not as quick as the AF-S version. One of its uses will be sports, so I need to have that fast AF. Plus, after having VR on my 18-200mm, I definitely want that. ;)

I have heard about the vignetting with this lens on the FX cameras. I will be using it on a D80, so I'm assuming there will be very little vignetting on the crop sensor.

Anyone have any experience with this lens on a D80?

Thanks guys.

this thread is a little stale but it touches on a subject i had a question on.
i was going to pull the trigger on this lens but saw all the negative review from FX owners. you hear this lens being a "legend in it's own time" so i find it surprising that it isn't supurb on FX which is where you would really hope it shines.

i currently own a D90 and i expect my next body to be D400 or whatever they decide to call it. but i can see the FX market becoming more affordable and even at $2600 i could see picking up a D700/D750 in the next year or so.

with that in mind, a $1900 lens should be viewed as an investment but if it under-performs on FX can it really be considered an investment? should i just stick with the 55-200mm i have and wait to see if a stellar performer comes along for FX?

I was actually considering the 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-D but have heard the autofocus is not as quick as the AF-S version. One of its uses will be sports, so I need to have that fast AF. Plus, after having VR on my 18-200mm, I definitely want that. ;)

Unless you're indoors, I doubt VR will be much help. I would go for the AF-S.

just buy the primes :)

this thread is a little stale but it touches on a subject i had a question on.
i was going to pull the trigger on this lens but saw all the negative review from FX owners. you hear this lens being a "legend in it's own time" so i find it surprising that it isn't supurb on FX which is where you would really hope it shines.

i currently own a D90 and i expect my next body to be D400 or whatever they decide to call it. but i can see the FX market becoming more affordable and even at $2600 i could see picking up a D700/D750 in the next year or so.

with that in mind, a $1900 lens should be viewed as an investment but if it under-performs on FX can it really be considered an investment? should i just stick with the 55-200mm i have and wait to see if a stellar performer comes along for FX?

I would look into the Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8. It's a lens that was designed for use on 35mm film, so vignetting is much less of an issue on FX.

I've since purchased the 80-200 f/2.8 instead of the 70-200 f/2.8 VR lens. I couldn't justify the cost. The AF is plenty fast for sports. On my D80 it's about as fast as my 50mm f/1.4.

I don't miss the VR.

I've been holding out on getting a Noct-Nikkor 58mm f/1.2 Afterall that came out in 1973. I'm betting Nikon will announce a replacement any day now.

Lenses aren't cameras, and aren't electronics. Not only does the technology behind them rarely change but the cost of design is huge. What is the 70-200 missing? Just the Nano coating. Hardly worth spending millions on in the R&D department. I doubt this lens will be replaced for many years yet. Even then it'll be a slight superficial change like a new VR unit or something.

Also I don't see how this lens which is such a superb performer can be a bad performer on an FX camera. Firstly this lens was not designed for digital cameras and I'm betting in 2003 Nikon still sold more F5 units than D1s (when did the D2H come out?) If it's sharp as a DX lens it will be sharper on FX as the same megapixels cover a larger area. The only problem is the DX pulls the sweet spot from the centre of the lens. I can't find any actual number or decent reviews of this camera on FX, just a bunch of random people posting complaints with no image to back it up.

/EDIT: Found one post where someone was specific on photo.net and the complaints seem to be geared at a 400x400 pixel segment in the 4 extreme corners which is notably not as sharp as the centre (well duh) and vignettes slightly. This totally doesn't sound like a deal breaker. But still I haven't seen any actual pictures.

Last edited:
If you have an FX camera I'd probably be wary of the Nikon 70-200mm if you intend on shooting wide open all the time; as the vignetting is pretty bad. I still use the lens on my D3 and enjoy it; but the vignetting is terrible.

Welcome to the FX world.

If you don't like the effect (which near all my portrait pics have some level of vignetting voluntarily), use the vignette control setting on your D3 and in camera RAW, remove the 1-2% of vignetting that is left. *All* FX lenses are going to vignette on the D3-D700s to some extent and that is not just a Nikon thing, but I have seen this on Canon as well. :)

Most reactions

Back