Nikkor 70-300mm repair help needed

Msteelio91

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.digitaldistrictphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Nikkor 70-300mm non-VR, nothing fancy but it does the job... Until I recently broke the mounting ring off...

If anyone could point me to the right replacement ring to buy I'd greatly appreciate it.

Here's an amazon link for the exact lens I have. Everything else is fine, just the ring needs replacement, just can't seem to find any solid answers regarding fitment.

Lens: Amazon.com Nikon 70-300mm f 4-5.6G AF Nikkor SLR Camera Lens Camera Lenses Camera Photo

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you really like that lens, your best bet is to buy another one. They are about $80 used.. To repair the mount will cost much more than that!

Any other input on this? Nothing against you Kris, I just would much rather spend $8 trying to fix it myself than trashing this one and dropping another $80-$100 on a new lens that I don't use that often

Camera and lens repairs can be expensive. If the mount's screw receptacles are stripped, and I bet they are, then you'd probably need to use larger diameter threads. Nikon will no longer sell ANY repair parts to non-authorized repair people, so...you yourself cannot buy a new mount directly from Nikon. I have no idea how badly the lens was damaged...perhaps you could re-attach it with new screws, maybe even epoxy? I dunno...I have a 70-300 G around here somewhere...it's a light-duty type lens, and I thought the mount on it was plastic? Can't recall...if it is plastic, and the mount was ripped off by impact/drop, then I imagine the screw holes on the mount, and the lens barrel area, are both totally stripped out, maybe to a ridiculous degree...I'll admit, my first thought was exactly as was Kris's...this is a throwaway build-type lens with the way today's official repair policies are...on this specific lens my thought was, "Buy another one." I know $100 is $100, and not cigar-lightin'-type cash, but maybe it could be epoxied back on?

mount looks like this from Rockwell site which states it has a plastic mount; even though it looks like a black metal ring with 3 screws in the pic. ==> Nikon 70-300mm G
D3S_4833-back.jpg

No...it only looks like metal...Nikon's plastic mounts look like metal in photographs, but that's Nikon's tell-tale black plastic mount alright. BTW, I think the 70-300 G makes a fabulous soft-focus portrait lens with a Cokin 082 diffusion filter added. The lens has a LOT of very strong chromatic aberration at the longer lengths, and when combined with a fog or diffusion or soft-focus filter, long focal length lenses that have this high level of CA look pretty "lensy"...I am not kidding here either! Diffusion filters and such do not look all that great on shorter focal length lenses like wide-angles, but with THIS specific lens, the Cokin diffusers look fabulous, and the look is very similar to say....okay I'll spill the beans....the 105 and 135 Defocus Control lenses, at about 1/10th the price...

Thanks for the input guys.

It is indeed plastic and it's just the little tab piece that is broken off. Honestly, if I still had the little plastic part I'd probably have no problem epoxying it back on... but, alas... it's somewhere in LAX. It really kills me that such a tiny break means the lens is trash...

I feel like there has to be a way around this! Anyone adventurous care to join in experimenting with me? Derrel, being the lens guru that you are I have a feeling you might be interested. If I can't find a ring anywhere, I might try to fab my own replacement ring and just connect it with slightly larger screws dabbed with epoxy to anchor it in there.

I've captured some decent pictures with this lens in places where I'd really rather not bring something nicer... That's what makes the cheap fix worth it to me!

Hello by Matthew_Steele, on Flickr

Girl with Reed by Matthew_Steele, on Flickr

Here's an idea ... buy a 70-300 G lens and take the plastic mount off of it and put it on yours ?

eeeh .... okay .. might not be the best solution :)

Interesting comment about the DC lenses Derrel. I nearly bought one of those a few years ago when I didn't know what it was just because it sounded neat :)
still sounds neat too ...

I've been using the 70-300 VR for a few years now. I would suggest buying one of these used if you do decide to replace the lens. The VR is a nice addition and this lens is still very portable and fits in my small kit.
I know how you feel about a small part, I am thinking of replacing my broken flash tube for a few bucks in place of sending in the flash unit for a repair that is over ten times the price of the part.

I had the little "ear's" on the plastic mount snap off on my 18-55 VR lens one day when I dropped my D7000 on the seat cushion of my car. The lens hit on the edge of the seat causing the lens and body to part company. This happened only a few weeks after Nikon made the announcement to stop selling parts to private parties. I ended up sourcing one on eBay, and found a YouTube video that showed how to replace it.

The mount cost me around $10 and took about 20 minutes (going slow and taking my time) to change out.

A quick search on eBay found mounts for the 18-55, 55-200, and 18-105 lenses, but nothing for the 70-300G. If I happen to come across something I'll post the link.

Good luck with the search for a mount. If you do get one, it shouldn't be difficult to replace.

For 8 bucks, I think I'd give the replacement mount a shot. If you screw it up, you are only out 8 bucks and the lens is broken to begin with. It would have to be a mount ring for an AF and not AF-S. (I think)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back