Nikkor 80-200 2.8 Color and Washout Problems

manaheim

Jedi Bunnywabbit
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm dorking around with this lens and getting kind of annoyed at it. It would appear that the pictures are some combination of low-contrast, washed out, dead colors, etc. It feels very much like the kind of thing that would be a "characteristic of the lens" but I find it VERY hard to believe on what is reported to be such high-quality optics, so I must be doing something wrong. Anyone have any experience with this lens that can share a few tips?

Any examples? Can you perhaps post the same shot (same settings) made with two different lenses?

Chris, pop up a couple of pics of the same object using different lenses that show this issue. Now, I do not own the 80-200, but it is remotely possible that though the 80-200 has optical prowess equal to the 70-200, it may not have the same colour/contrast rendition levels, and that this is what you are seeing.

Also, if you are shooting RAW, this could be the entire reason behind it as well.

Any examples? Can you perhaps post the same shot (same settings) made with two different lenses?

Chris, pop up a couple of pics of the same object using different lenses that show this issue. Now, I do not own the 80-200, but it is remotely possible that though the 80-200 has optical prowess equal to the 70-200, it may not have the same colour/contrast rendition levels, and that this is what you are seeing.

Also, if you are shooting RAW, this could be the entire reason behind it as well.

I don't have any handy... whoops. :) I have some examples at home I can post tonight. I'll make a point to get some comparison shots as well and put those up this weekend. Good suggestion.

I am shooting RAW... but I shoot RAW with all my lenses... is there a difference in the 80-200 that I'm not thinking of?

is there a difference in the 80-200 that I'm not thinking of?

Are we talking the 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-D or the 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-S?
(Oh, you do know that between 1976 and today that there are *6* variants of the 80-200? :confused: )

Are we talking the 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-D or the 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-S?
(Oh, you do know that between 1976 and today that there are *6* variants of the 80-200? :confused: )

ummm... hahah... wow.

I *think* it's the D. I don't have it here (and it's not actually my lens, otherwise I could probably give you the serial number) :)

ummm... hahah... wow.

I *think* it's the D. I don't have it here (and it's not actually my lens, otherwise I could probably give you the serial number) :)

If it's an AF-S it will say so.

I am puzzled by your problem as the optics of my 80-200 2.8 AF-D are awesome in all areas.

I'm not doubting your problem, just mystified.

As suggested I would take 2 photos at the same exposure of the same object under the same light back to back and post them.

My gut is that you have something where the metering is being thrown off somewhere.

Did you buy it used? Can you try it on a different body?

The only issue I have ever had with mine is that the contacts need cleaner evr 4 or 5 switches on and off of a Nikon DSLR but never have had the issue with film.

I'm not an electronics guru, but there does seem to be an issue where the contacts of a DSLR don't always play nice with this one lens. Not a big deal to me since I keep my stuff pretty spotless anyway, but it has puzzled me as to why being that I do keep the stuff so clean.

LWW

ummm... hahah... wow.

Excerpt of an article written by Thom Hogan:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Nikon has had at least six previous f/2.8 telephoto zooms in this range:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]80-200mm f/2.8 ED. This manual focus lens was first introduced in 1978 at Photokina. The lens has a unique rotating tripod collar and was a two-ring design, but only a handful were produced.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]80-200mm f/2.8 ED. The most common of the manual focus versions uses a one-ring design and a full depth of field scale engraved on the barrel. The lens is distinguished by a huge 95mm front thread. Introduced in 1982, again, not a lot of these lenses were made.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]AF 80-200mm f/2.8 ED. The first of the autofocus versions appeared in 1987. Curiously, unlike most early AF conversions, Nikon appears to have made a few optical changes in this conversion, adding an element and making the front element the standard 77mm size used in most pro lenses.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]AF 80-200mm f/2.8D ED IF. The first D version appeared in 1992 and added no rotating front element.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]AF 80-200mm f/2.8D ED IF. A two-ring version of the classic design appeared next.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]AF-S 80-200mm f/2.8D ED IF. In 1999, Nikon added an AF-S version of the two-ring design, making a few other minor changes, as well.[/FONT]

It would appear that I have the AF Zoom Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Dual Rings MK III .

I've spent about 2 hours looking for anything that would hint or point to an issue even remotely associated with lower contrast or colour washout with this lens and I have found absolutely nothing.

The only thing left for me to assume is that it is not a common or generic issue, but likely something associated with your particular copy of this lens... that is if there is something. I've not seen any shots with comparisons and in the end could be a simple case of over-expectations. Is that a possibility?

Surprised nobody asked this, but what body are you shooting with?

I'm shooting with a D300 body.

I would have taken some comp shots when I got home but the light was basically gone outside and I wanted to shoot in relatively similar conditions to what I was in when I was in Florida using this thing. I'll try to get some tomorrow.

I was also going to put up some shots that I had taken from the trip through the zoo, but I realize I deleted them all in disgust because they were so bad. :)

I actually cleaned the lens with a Nikon lens pen when I picked it up from my buddy as it was ... well, it was a mess per my standards, but I realize my standards are pretty ridiculous. :)

It is possible that my expectations are too high, but it seems unlikely that this is performing the way people would expect.

It would appear that I have the AF Zoom Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Dual Rings MK III .

Hmmm....this is the same one I had before getting the 70-200, and it was used on a D70s & D2Xs. Although I had to occasionally play with the curves a little, I never really had any problems with washout. I always thought it was a fantastic lens.

Just a couple of thoughts:

- If you have the option, make sure you are in AdobeRGB, not sRGB color mode (or "Color Space").

- Check your Picture Control menu, make sure you are in standard, and not in neutral.

These may make a difference, they may not, just something to check.

Most reactions

Back