Nikkor AF 18-70mm/3.5-4.5...help?

cosmoepic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
anyone familiar with this? it was also titled with the following:

G ED SW DX

not entirely sure with the letters mean but could someone shed some light on this for me? they watn $245.00 from the store used. Apparently my kit 18-55 is about to break seeing as when i zoom it something inside is grinding, so im gonna need a new one soon

i should also say im just looking for a decent all around lens.

also in addition to this, can another recommendation be made for for a wide angle? these will all be going on my D40

thanks!

Why not get the 18-200, that would be a good all round lens...

i have this lens as you can see in my sig :)
This is more then just a kit lens with is being a f/3.5-4.5, ur 18-55 was a f/3.5-5.6 so the 18-70 is a faster lens i would pick it up for it only being $245

i have this lens as you can see in my sig :)
This is more then just a kit lens with is being a f/3.5-4.5, ur 18-55 was a f/3.5-5.6 so the 18-70 is a faster lens i would pick it up for it only being $245

No, it's still a kit lens

But it's a nice kit lens, and a good replacement for an 18-55

I'll take a crack at the letters I know:

G means it doesn't have an aperture ring on the lens

ED Extra-low Dispersion element(s) used in the lens

DX lens is designed to cover the smaller image circle of the digital camera bodies

Not sure about SW. The 18-70 is an AF-S lens. It also has 'IF' in the name which means a lens that uses internal focusing rather than moving or turning outer elements.

I had the 18-70mm until I gave to my wife. It is a pretty good lens and can definitely take some nice photos.

I'll take a crack at the letters I know:

G means it doesn't have an aperture ring on the lens

ED Extra-low Dispersion element(s) used in the lens

DX lens is designed to cover the smaller image circle of the digital camera bodies

Not sure about SW. The 18-70 is an AF-S lens. It also has 'IF' in the name which means a lens that uses internal focusing rather than moving or turning outer elements.

I had the 18-70mm until I gave to my wife. It is a pretty good lens and can definitely take some nice photos.

thanks for the info, i think im gonna get the lens

weird question: how would this be with my D40? is it a good choice with that camera or does it make a difference?

I 2nd the 18-200mm lens idea.
smile.gif

Hey just though it is out there if you're looking for a new one as I just picked up a Nikon 50 mm prime lens. And I have had no problems so far but I forget if the Nikon D40 has internal motor and if it doesn't you would not be able to use autofocus mode. So whenever you're looking for a lens for your camera make sure it has a motor and it still you will be able to use the autofocus feature on the lens.and I would recommend going with a prime lens if you are shooting indoor because they are the least expensive with the widest aperture.

Oh and if you go with the 200 mm it would be useful if you got vibration reducer or VR , or else the image might turn blurry if there is any camera shake because it is at a higher focal point.

i havnt checked it yet, but im assuming the 18-200mm is gonna be pretty expensive, and right now i just need something to hold down the fort while my 18-55 is on its last legs so the least i can spend the better.

i know with anything you get what you pay for, but from what im gathering the 18-70 is a great choice for the price

Hey just though it is out there if you're looking for a new one as I just picked up a Nikon 50 mm prime lens. And I have had no problems so far but I forget if the Nikon D40 has internal motor and if it doesn't you would not be able to use autofocus mode. So whenever you're looking for a lens for your camera make sure it has a motor and it still you will be able to use the autofocus feature on the lens.and I would recommend going with a prime lens if you are shooting indoor because they are the least expensive with the widest aperture.

Oh and if you go with the 200 mm it would be useful if you got vibration reducer or VR , or else the image might turn blurry if there is any camera shake because it is at a higher focal point.

good call man, i tried the 18-70 which has the AF feature and it worked on my camera so im assuming im good to go

its funny that you bring up the 50mm, i brought that up to the salesman and before i could even get it out of my mouth, he tells me no no no dont get that. I was a bit turned off by it, even though ive been reading up on it and i liked what i was reading, can you tell me alittle more about it?

Do not buy this lens for 250 bucks. This would be a waste of money. Is it total ass? Of course not, but that doesn't mean its worth the premium you are going to pay at a local dealer. If you are in the market for a new lens, for gods sake look at the used market. You are not going to get a great deal on a lens (especially a kit lens, which the 18-70 most definitely is) of this caliber by buying new. Buy used from a reputable individual, and you will profit. Garaunteed.

Do not buy this lens for 250 bucks. This would be a waste of money. Is it total ass? Of course not, but that doesn't mean its worth the premium you are going to pay at a local dealer. If you are in the market for a new lens, for gods sake look at the used market. You are not going to get a great deal on a lens (especially a kit lens, which the 18-70 most definitely is) of this caliber by buying new. Buy used from a reputable individual, and you will profit. Garaunteed.

that is the used price they have it listed for used, is that too high im assuming?

guess i better hit up the used forum here

The used forum here is dead. I would check out Nikonians.org, FredMiranda.com perhaps DigitalWeddingForum (all sites that require you to sign up, and DWF wont even let you view the classifieds section unless you are a member). Hit up those sites and you'll find excellent deals on used equipment. No reason to pay that money for a kit lens when you can dig and actually get some better glass for the same cost.

Most reactions

Back