Nikkor lens question?

Live_free

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Sorry this is a dumb question, but I know my d5000 is a DX camera, does that mean I can only use DX lens? Or can I use any lens? I know about the AF-S thing btw lol Just so someone doesn't waste their "breath" :mrgreen:

Almost any Nikon "F" mount lens will mount on and take photos with your camera, but ONLY Nikon AF-S lenses (or equivalent in other brands), will AF on your camera body, like you already know.

...but don't let that stop you, there are plenty of compatible lenses you could use, from your kit lenses for starters, to either the 50mm AF-S to the 35mm AF-S which are awesome additions to your or anyone's camera bag.

Almost any Nikon "F" mount lens will mount on and take photos with your camera, but ONLY Nikon AF-S lenses (or equivalent in other brands), will AF on your camera body, like you already know....
Sigh! That is not a true statement. Nikon AF-I lenses will also AF on your D5000/D3000/D40/D40x/D60.

Sigh! That is not a true statement. Nikon AF-I lenses will also AF on your D5000/D3000/D40/D40x/D60.

Sweet, I didn't realize this!

you can use ANY lens you want but lenses that don't have Af motor in them will work as MF.

Almost any Nikon "F" mount lens will mount on and take photos with your camera, but ONLY Nikon AF-S lenses (or equivalent in other brands), will AF on your camera body, like you already know.

...but don't let that stop you, there are plenty of compatible lenses you could use, from your kit lenses for starters, to either the 50mm AF-S to the 35mm AF-S which are awesome additions to your or anyone's camera bag.

What 50mm and 35mm are you talking about? Cause I can't find it on their website. Care to link me?

DX lenses for DX cameras.
FX lenses for FX cameras, DX lenses can be used with FX cameras but will be less megapixels used.

Almost any Nikon "F" mount lens will mount on and take photos with your camera, but ONLY Nikon AF-S lenses (or equivalent in other brands), will AF on your camera body, like you already know....

Sorry, my bad, I stand corrected, forgot to mention the AF-I lenses. In 40 years of shooting Nikon I don't even think I have ever even seen one, so they must not be very plentiful.

Like other said, ANY lens will take photos on your camera. And you already know about the AF-S requirement for autofocus.

One more thing to keep in mind: in order to get light metering information to your camera you'll need a "cpu" lens--recognized by the digital contacts that connect the lens to the cameras computer.

00K9Ab-35232984.jpg

A good rule of thumb is af lenses are cpu, and all manual focus only lenses are not.

Of course you can still use a non-cpu lens on your camera, but you'll have to guess at the correct shutter/aperture/iso to use.

FYI: Higher end nikon dslrs (d300,d700,d3) will meter with non-cpu lenses.

DX lenses for DX cameras.
FX lenses for FX cameras, DX lenses can be used with FX cameras but will be less megapixels used.

not quite

DX or FX lenses on DX cameras (FX lenses generally bigger and much more $)
DX lenses on Full Frame (Fx) cameras will generally show vignetting because the DX lens won't cover the full-frame sensor. (However I use a 12-24 DX lens on an FX camera and the vignetting disappears around 18 mm)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back