Nikon 10mm f/2.8 or 16mm f/2.8

Ejazzle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Which lens is better of the two?

is a 10mm fisheye a lot wider than my sigma 10-20? Also, how is the 16mm with a digi crop? Does it still have the fisheye look?

sorry for all the questions lately. Im just trying to learn.

EDIT: is there a 10.5mm f/2.8 fisheye for nikon with out a built in hood out there?

Last edited:
i figured out the answer to my own question lol.

well its between the 105 macro and the 10.5 fishy

If you're considering the 10.5mm why not just pick up a Tokina 11-16... They are awesome lenses, and for the price of the fish eye you could have the whole range from 11-16. I have found that having the range is much better than being stuck with just the fish eye perspective...

I disagree... I find I generally use my wide-zooms at their widest setting (over 90% of my 14-24f/2.8 shots are at 14mm).

If I had a dx sensor, I'd be looking at the 10.5 ... it's an optic most people don't have, and thus just by default will give you a different 'look' than anyone else can create.

I bet you that if you get just the 10.5 you'll be kicking yourself in the rear for not getting the zoom instead. I may be wrong, but the versatility of going to 16mm is worth it. You may stay toward the wide end most of the time, but when you need to get in a little closer, you can. For wedding photography hands down 11-16 for a crop sensor, 14-24 for a FX sensor.

jlykins, i already have a sigma 10-20. I just wanted the different look of the fisheye. I WAS set on the 10.5 till i figured out it had a non removable hood. I was wanting to use this with my EWA marine u-bxp100 underwater housing. Does anyone know of a good fish w/o the built in hood?

1 - Which lens is better of the two?

2 - is a 10mm fisheye a lot wider than my sigma 10-20? Also, how is the 16mm with a digi crop? Does it still have the fisheye look?

3 - EDIT: is there a 10.5mm f/2.8 fisheye for nikon with out a built in hood out there?

1 - The Nikkor 14mm F/2.8 rules in final quality over the 16mm or the 10.5mm. Also, the 10.5mm is for DX sensor, the 14mm and 16mm fisheyes are for FX sensors.... very fishy... lol. ;)

2 - Yes the fisheye is wider

3 - no. becuase of the shape of the glass and width of the shot, a hood is damn near mandatory to prevent lens flare. There are 360 degrees in a circle and that lens has a near 180 degree range of view. You would have a 50% chance of having lens flare without it in every pic you took outside without that hood in place.

My next lens looks to be the Nikkor 14-24 F/2.8 FX glass. but I still want the 14mm F/2.8 FX fisheye. That fisheye effect is something that the 14-24 can never do.

Last edited:
jerry, thanks for the help, If i could. i would get the 14mm its just a bit out of my range. and plus this lens is gonna be getting wet. So i wouldn't want a $1200 lens going down the drain with one screw up.
I shoot a d300 and a tiny bit of film. So would i still get that fisheye effect on my DX sensor with the 14mm and 16mm?

I cant believe i forgot about flare. im an idiot. lol

I think when i get a D4 ill look at the ff glass. But for now i kinda want to stay away from $1400 glass (not by choice, parents would have my head)

Yes you will still get that fisheye look with the 10.5mm DX lens. I saw one in action recently, the effects are nice.

However, if you don't need that fisheye effect and just want an ultra wide lens (something that I feel more people would use more often), then a Sigma 10-20mm is a very viable alternative. There is a competitor that offers a UWA F/2.8 lens (not sure if it is Tamron or Tokina), that also could be something to look into :

Done with a 10-20mm Sigma:
3188073842_836179c377.jpg

3188073722_2342aa9679.jpg

There is that typical wide angle distortion, but its nowhere near that of a fisheye.

Which lens is better of the two?

is a 10mm fisheye a lot wider than my sigma 10-20? Also, how is the 16mm with a digi crop? Does it still have the fisheye look?

sorry for all the questions lately. Im just trying to learn.

EDIT: is there a 10.5mm f/2.8 fisheye for nikon with out a built in hood out there?

;)
I love that lens jerry, i was just thinking the fisheye look would be fun to mess with also

Most reactions

Back