Nikon 17-55 f2.8

danir

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was playing with the Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8 that a friend has and it seems like an amazing lense. The problem ofcourse is it's price (1200$).
There is Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 (420$), and Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 (450$).
Are they any good? Is the Nikon lense worth the difference?

Dani.

I haven't heard to much about this lens (being a Canon shooter) but I know that Canon has a similar lens at a similar (high) price. These lenses are meant to be pro level lenses, which is one reason they cost so much.

The Sigma 18-50 F2.8 and the Tamron 17-50 F2.8 are very good lenses. I can personally vouch for the Tamron, I have that one. They may be a small step down from the brand name lenses...but at less than half the cost, they are a great value.

The Nikon 17-55 2.8 and the canon equivalent are expensive for a reason. They are both incredibly sharp at large apertures, are mechanically flawless and are built like tanks. Really good glass does cost a bit more.

The Nikon 17-55 2.8 and the canon equivalent are expensive for a reason. They are both incredibly sharp at large apertures, are mechanically flawless and are built like tanks. Really good glass does cost a bit more.
Like Patrice, I also shoot with the 17-55 DX. I paid $1000 for mine becuase I sold my 35-70 f/2.8 and 18-35 f/3.5-4.5. The reason it's $1200-$1400 and not $400 like the Tamron's and the Sigma's is because it's metal, sealed, and is COMPLETELY compatible with past, present, and future Nikon digital cameras. The only problem I've run into with it on my D70s is that it's too sharp (go figure), I sometimes get aliasing. It is a pro-level lens that lives on my camera and I wouldn't trade it for the world. I've never seen any lens (aside form primes) that are this sharp at f/2.8. I haven't printed larger than 12x18 yet, but I know I won't be disappointed.

This is the next lens I plan to purchase I think it is an excellent lens.

I use the 17-55 f2.8. It is the lens I use the most. It is one of the best zoom lenses Nikon has ever designed. I see no meaningful distortion at any focal length and very crisp corners. The only zoom that I have tested that competes with it optically is the 70-200 VR lens. I have no experience with the off brand but the price difference should tell you about all you need to know.

On the downside it is large and heavy for a "normal" lens. We always seem to need to pay a price, I guess.

Thanks for the information.

Dani.

Most reactions

Back