Nikon 18-135mm lens

D40

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What is yalls opinion on this lens. I found it on B&H photo for $329. That will give me greater flexability and still allow me money to get the SB-800. My biggest gripe is that it does not have a metal mount like the 18-70mm and 18-200mm.

I have a friend who owns that lens. It does work, but the long extension makes the front element wobble, and the lens focal length creep in certain situations.

Vignetting is horrible at the widest aperture for 18mm and 135mm
CA is ok but in really high contrast will be visible.
Fortunately though the thing is sharp as a tac in the centre of the frame, and only really starts being a problem at the extreme border.

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/nikkor_18135_3556/index.htm

It's a great lens for the money results wise, it's only really the build quality which is lacking a bit.

Thanks, I am looking at this instead of the 18-200mm lens because it is half the price and I can pick up the SB-800 with the extra cash. I do wish it had the metal mount but am glad to hear it is sharp:)

I do not care for it. I think it is vastly overpriced for what it is. IMHO you would be better off sticking with the kit lens and a 55-200 for less money than the 18-135.

The 18-135 is slow (as are the others) but it doesn't have VR on it. It is fairly sharp though.

Me, I think there are much better choices out there.

I'm sortof in the same boat as you, so for the time being I've picked up a used Nikon AF 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6D for $140 at my local camera shop. I love it. It doesn't go as wide, but it has served my purposes very well. I also picked up a 50mm 1.8 for around $80 for portraits.

Most reactions

Back