klissarov ik

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Anyone out here using this lens?
I'm planing to buy one with my Tokina 12-24mm... since I'll use the Nikon for portraits, animals, flowers, urban etc(in other words, everything my Tokina won't be able to do)... and the Tokina mainly for landscapes.

I've read reviews on the lens, and no doubt- looks like a sweet toy... but I'd like to hear some personal opinions before buying anything.

Also, do you guys think I'm doing a wise choice? Or will the Tokina be enough? Since it's only going to 24... I thought of getting the 18-200mm so I can cover a much more flexible range and don't know to buy any other lenses for a while.

You're comparing apples and oranges. One is a wide angle zoom going from extreme to modest wide angle. The other goes from modest wide angle to telephoto. Also the 18-200 is a 10X zoom with all the optical issues that involves. They simply aren't the same thing at all. The two together might be a solution for some people.

I have one and it is a fantastic walk around lens. In 5+ weeks in Laos, it never came off my camera.

Look at Laos images from link in my signature.

No no, actually I was asking if you guys thought a Tokina 12-24mm + Nikon 18-200mm combinaiton would be good. Since I'll be using the Tokina for landscapes & the Nikon for everything else.

Nice gallery, Traveler. I like those portraits.
What kind of lens(se) have you used for your Thailand trip? Pretty gallery out there too!

I just upgraded to this lens (from 18-70mm). So far so good :)

No no, actually I was asking if you guys thought a Tokina 12-24mm + Nikon 18-200mm combinaiton would be good. Since I'll be using the Tokina for landscapes & the Nikon for everything else.

Nice gallery, Traveler. I like those portraits.
What kind of lens(se) have you used for your Thailand trip? Pretty gallery out there too!

I used 18-70 in Thailand/Burma.
You will probably eventually want to get a 50 mm 1.4 or 1.8 prime. It is fast and very very sharp.

Yes the 18-200 does have issues with the longer range of the zoom. Chromatic aberration goes through the roof, and sharpness plummets. It does have VR though which is great. I bought the 18-70mm to save some money and plan on buying a 70-200VR soonish so I get sharp performance at all focal lengths.

However as a general walk around lens (and especially considering the price of the 70-200) the 18-200 is a good buy.

Most reactions

Back