Nikon 200-500mm Lens Question about handheld.

corygibbs15

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have just purchased the Nikon 200-500mm lens. It is much bigger and heavier than any lens I have owned previously. My current body is the Nikon D7200. I do not own a tripod, or monopod. I purchased this lens for handheld use.

Due to it's weight, I have been careful how I hold my setup, but sometimes changing settings on the body requires two hands. (to change iso, white balance, and simply to scroll through your images). This concerns me a lot that I am putting too much stress on the attachment area (lens mount I believe it is called).

How concerned should I be when holding the body with 2 hands and letting the lens be hands-free? I have been aiming my camera down to the floor when adjusting settings to minimize the stress, but just curious if anyone knows how much stress it could handle? Can I adjust settings while aiming parallel to the ground? Or should I ALWAYS be keeping one hand under the lens for support. (which is impossible when trying to change some settings).

Thanks.

This!!!

They didn't put that mounting collar on for looks.
Thanks for the link, but like I said, a monopod is not ideal for what I intend on using it for. I am wondering if I can get away without using one. I am not concerned about image stabalization. I am just concerned if I'm gonna end up breaking anything when holding the body because of the weight of the lens.

You should be holding the combo by the lens, not just by the body.

How does anyone change their settings like that? Changing ISO for example requires two hands. One on the button, one on the dial.

This!!!

Thanks for the link, but like I said, a monopod is not ideal for what I intend on using it for. I am wondering if I can get away without using one. I am not concerned about image stabalization. I am just concerned if I'm gonna end up breaking anything when holding the body because of the weight of the lens.
And what would that be???

This!!!

And what would that be???
Well when I'm shooting wildlife, things happen spontaneous and a lotta times I would not have time to set up a monopod. I would already have missed my shot. So I want to use this lens for handheld, but the problem is the weight. I dont care that I have to carry it around, it's just I like to play with my settings a LOT. and it requires two hands, sometimes I have to be fast with it too. So that's why I'm concerned about breaking something if im not constantly supporting it with my hand under the lens.

You don't set up a monopod, you have it attached to the lens before you turn on the camera. It is really not that hard. I've shot college and pro sports for years. You have to be fast there as well. Pre planning is the key, that and having your head in the game and your eye to the view finder always.

Secrets of Digital Bird Photography

I also shoot wildlife, the kind that can potentially kill you, grizzly, black bear, cougar, moose etc. I wouldn't be without a good tripod with a gimbal mount.

As, he said ... monopod attached to lens ... carry the whole thing around without detaching ... over the shoulder technique.

I use a monopod for sports all the time with my 150-600.
But not for wildlife. I hand hold it.

I point the camera down to make adjustments. But for the most part I can make all my adjustments with just my right hand.

You have a D7200, so if you configure your Record button as an ISO button then you'll have your ISO, Shutter and Aperture with your right hand. Don't need anything else then once you set up your metering and Focusing Mode/Area.

I use a monopod for sports all the time with my 150-600.
But not for wildlife. I hand hold it.

I point the camera down to make adjustments. But for the most part I can make all my adjustments with just my right hand.

You have a D7200, so if you configure your Record button as an ISO button then you'll have your ISO, Shutter and Aperture with your right hand. Don't need anything else then once you set up your metering and Focusing Mode/Area.
ahhh great idea!! i didnt even think of that. ill have to read a tutorial to figure out how to configure the buttons. Thanks !!!!!

Lets see some photos you have taken. I have the D7200 and am thinking about getting that lens.

If you insist on handheld, another option could be to carry the camera on a black rapid strap hooked to the lens foot.

With some practice and the sliders in the right position, you can use the strap to support some of the weight of the lens while you change settings with two hands.

How does anyone change their settings like that? Changing ISO for example requires two hands. One on the button, one on the dial.

Try shooting in apature priority with auto ISO. I shoot wildlife and sports this way 90% of the time. I can shoot hours at a time with just one adjustment wheel

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back