Nikon 200mm f5.6 C medical macro lens for bug shooting?

jake337

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
does it even fit on the regular dslr? I can't tell if it uses a special mount, or standard nikon mount

does it even fit on the regular dslr? I can't tell if it uses a special mount, or standard nikon mount

I'm not quite sure. This photog said the tested it on the sellers d2x and uses it on his canon. I can only guess that it is an pre-ai, ai, or ais lens.

I'm not quite sure. This photog said the tested it on the sellers d2x and uses it on his canon. I can only guess that it is an pre-ai, ai, or ais lens.

Based on this thread on flickr it looks like they are pre-ai which means they can be mounted without modification on certain bodies and with the AI mod on others.

This is a flat out crazy lens:

This old Medical-Nikkor has a self-compensating design, eliminating all bothersome calculations for setting the diaphragm in relation to film speed and reproduction ratio. All that is required of the photographer is to set the lens for the ASA speed of the film used, attach the auxiliary lens or lenses in accordance with the desired magnification ratio, focus by moving the camera toward or away from the subject and release the shutter. It was also one of the first batch of Nikon auto thyristors that provide automatic flash exposure. Its primary objective was to facilitate convenience in lens handling, permitting deliveries of high quality images of optimum exposure even if it was handled by someone that has little photographic knowledge. The was made possible with the incorporation of an automatic lens diaphragm stops down to correct aperture at the moment of exposure.

(http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/special/250medical.htm)

This is a flat out crazy lens:

This old Medical-Nikkor has a self-compensating design, eliminating all bothersome calculations for setting the diaphragm in relation to film speed and reproduction ratio. All that is required of the photographer is to set the lens for the ASA speed of the film used, attach the auxiliary lens or lenses in accordance with the desired magnification ratio, focus by moving the camera toward or away from the subject and release the shutter. It was also one of the first batch of Nikon auto thyristors that provide automatic flash exposure. Its primary objective was to facilitate convenience in lens handling, permitting deliveries of high quality images of optimum exposure even if it was handled by someone that has little photographic knowledge. The was made possible with the incorporation of an automatic lens diaphragm stops down to correct aperture at the moment of exposure.

(http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/special/250medical.htm)

Yeah I wish I had an extra $400 bucks for it! It would be fun to chase bugs as I usually just focus to 1:1 and leave it there, moving back and forth to focus.

It would be cool to use the flash mounted in it as fill to your main off camera too.

It would seem to be a great lens for focus stacking on a rail too.

I wish they still made these crazy optical devices still. Every now and then something cool will come along, like Sigma's 500/2.8 and 1m/5.6, or Fuji's IS Pro kit, but true "coolness" seems few and far between these days.

Looks like a pretty use speciffic lens. The built in ring light and modeling bulbs are neat, but carrying around the battery pack and or the AC adapter looks like a pain. Can you tell if it is the 1962 version or the 1970 version?

From the photo it looks like the 1970 version: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/special/250medical1.htm

Very specific! But would be fun to use no less.

I'm not sure. I would have to call KEH and ask for the serial number to be for sure.

My guess is based on the color chart on the front end of the lens. The 1962 model has a black and white chart.

Before I bought something like that I would want to make sure the ring flash still works as well as the modeling lights or at least be able to get new flash tubes and lights Be a shame to have a lens with those abilities but not have them working.

^^ this is a whole system that consists of multiple front elements designed to be used in conjunction with a lens with a built-in ring flash and f-ratio compensation to account for magnification. Like I said, it's a crazy lens.

Nikon does make a 200mm f4 micro.
Yep! [url="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006I5J5/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=hdiumds-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00006I5J5]Nikon 200mm f/4.0D ED-IF AF Micro-Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras[/url]

Yes they do. At a much different price point without extension tubes or a ring flash. I mean your talking about a thousand dollars more before you add those items. Obviously I want a 200mm f4 micro. I could also go for the 200mm f4 ai/ais micro as well. I know about these lens. I was just wondering if anybody has used this lens. Doesn't anyone like to just have fun with photography as a hobby anymore or is it only the latest and greatest that is needed these days?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back