Nikon 24-70mm 2.8 AF/S or Nikon 85mm 1.4 G AF/S?

anagoesch said:
I love all the information.
Thank you very much.
Kundalini's I love the pics!!!
Maybe I should get the 85mm 1.4 .
I'll try to indeed using the 55-300 at 200 wide aperture...
I really appreciate all the help!

This isn't the best picture but it was taken with the 55-300mm lens when I first got the camera. You can get separation between the subject and background - just play around with it.

Yes great example! I think I would make that point loud and clear, because all the gearheads told me that I couldn't get a decent bokeh with a slow lens like a 70-300 VR. You can get fantastic bokeh with a 55-300 or 70-300 IMO if you use it right, not as good as a fast telephoto lens but good nonetheless! Alot of misleading information is spread around on the net sometimes.

Nikon_Josh said:
Yes great example! I think I would make that point loud and clear, because all the gearheads told me that I couldn't get a decent bokeh with a slow lens like a 70-300 VR. You can get fantastic bokeh with a 55-300 or 70-300 IMO if you use it right, not as good as a fast telephoto lens but good nonetheless! Alot of misleading information is spread around on the net sometimes.

Oh yeah that picture was taken at 72mm f/4.5! Just because it's not the best lens doesn't mean you can't take great photos. There's obviously gotta be some distance between your subject and background. I've been happy with this lens - its definitely not the best one out there but Josh is right - you can get fantastic bokeh with it!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Derrel said:
CHANCES are good that the 24-85 D you link to will not autofocus on the OP's camera body...

Do you still have that 24-85 D for sale, KmH???

I thought the d7000 could use lenses without the autofocus motor in them.....

MTVision, I love it!
What setting?

Do you still have that 24-85 D for sale, KmH???
No, it sold.

It was my understanding the OP had a D7000.

Any auto focus setting the D7000 has can be used with the AF 24-85 mm f/2.8-4D. The D7000 knows if an AF-S, an AF, or a manual focus only lens is mounted.

When it detects an AF lens it uses the autio focus motor and screw-drive system in the camera. When the D7000 detects the lens is an AF-S lens, it uses the in-the-lens auto focus motor instead of the in-the-body focus motor/screw drive.

Last edited:
For the price of the 24-70, I could get the 50mm G 1.8 AFS, 85mm 1.8 D AF and a 35mm G AFS.
Would it be more useful those 3 instead of 1 top like 24-70.
Mainly for Family and kids outdoor, running and jumping...
I do have the D7000 and can't afford a full frame for now. I am choosing to invest in lens first.

I think the best thing with a DX camera is a used 17-55mm f/2.8
Much more versitile and I am very glad I chose it over the 24-70mm f/2.8 - I would have missed the wide end very much.
Added benefit is 55mm for an 82.5 equivalent angle of view for portraits:

DSC2122-XL.jpg

D90 | 17-55 @ 55mm and f/2.8

Just my 2 cents.

Just for comparison, the shot below was on same day with the 85mm f/1.4 D @ f/2.2
Both are just snapshots while on a walk in Boston.

DSC2094-XL.jpg

Last edited:
anagoesch said:
MTVision, I love it!
What setting?

72mm f4.5 and a pretty high shutter speed - not sure exactly what it was and the ISO was on auto at the time so it was around 500 I believe. It was taken with the zoom you have. The 85 1.8 is a nice lens. I really liked it - I did return it because it wasn't the lens I ordered and it wouldn't autofocus on my camera. It will autofocus on yours though.

For the price of the 24-70, I could get the 50mm G 1.8 AFS, 85mm 1.8 D AF and a 35mm G AFS.
Would it be more useful those 3 instead of 1 top like 24-70.
Mainly for Family and kids outdoor, running and jumping...
I do have the D7000 and can't afford a full frame for now. I am choosing to invest in lens first.

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works, but why not get a Sigma 50 1.4 and just enjoy yourself with one lens? It really is much better than 50 1.8D for portrait shots, I upgraded my AFD for the Sigma and have not looked back, you really need to see it to believe it. You will save a huge amount of money aswell in the process!!! Which can be invested in flashes? If someone told me the Sigma 50 was the only lens I could use for people shots, I would not be complaining in a hurry.

Keep your 55-300 for long distance shots.

On another note though... SLEIST.. Who is the model????? I think I'm in love!! :drool::lol:

That's different, I will check the lens, price and reviews... I can't wait to buy my new toy! I will shop this Wednesday!!!!
I think the 50 1.8 d is too slow sometimes.

That's different, I will check the lens, price and reviews... I can't wait to buy my new toy! I will shop this Wednesday!!!!
I think the 50 1.8 d is too slow sometimes.

Let us know which you go with, I have to say you won't get over the difference between the Sigma and the 50 1.8 D in terms of the difference in the look you get if you do pull the trigger on the more economical option!

Most reactions

Back