Nikon 24mm 1.4 prime lens

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by wescobts, Feb 9, 2010.

1. wescobts

wescobts TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    $2199.00 Wow ! Looks nice but too rich for my blood. :(

2. AlexColeman

AlexColeman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    What do you expect? The 28 is more then that, older, with less of the newer amenities.

3. wescobts

wescobts TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I was thinking about that, it is a pretty decent price, I saw a 28 on Ebay and it was around $3000, with some marks on the body of the lens., still too rich for me.

4. Montana

Montana TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Even Canon's fantastic 24mkII is not much different in price. Welcome to the fast prime club.

5. DScience

DScience No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This might be my next lens!! YES!!

6. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Well, that is the early adopter price; it's quite possible that the price will drop after eight months to one year on the market. Here's a good page to stop by and visit. Roland Vink maintains this page,which is named simply Nikon Lens Serial Nos

Nikon Lens Serial Nos

Take a look at the Nikkor 28mm f/1.4 AF-D; the first prodcution run of this lens was a whopping total of 7,333 lenses over about a 12 year span, from initial production in 1993 until late 2004, in 2005 the serial number range was changed, and the lens was discontinued as I recall in late 2006. This is a lens that, after it was discontinued, sold for up to $4,000 on eBay.

Same thing with Nikon's 58mm f/1.2 Noct-Nikkor: the Ai run was 2,462 lenses, the 1981 to 1998 run of this expensive high-speed lens was 8,951 pieces. With a used market price of $3,000-$3,800 for a lens that originally retailed for perhaps a third of today's eBay price.

These class-leading lenses, like the 200mm f/2 VR, sell in very small numbers when one really gets right down to it and looks at the individual production numbers. The 24mm f/1.4 is a lot like the 28/1.4, the 58mm f/1.2 Noct~Nikkor, and the 200mm f/2 AF-S VR-G---it utilizes current, absolute state of the art technologies, is made in limited numbers, offers extraordinarily high optical quality, and costs a pretty fair amount of money.
    The 24/1.4 is not designed to sell in large numbers, and lenses in this upper echelon on price and features cost a lot to research and produce. Go through the serial number list at the web page, and look at how FEW people will actually buy the really high-high end lenses, and how many hundreds of thousands of common lenses are sold.