Nikon 24mm f/2.8 AF

nickzou

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Does anyone have this lens? I just bought it and it just doesn't seem sharp. I'm comparing this to my 50mm f/1.4. I did everything, I put it on a tripod. I calculated the DoF, used a laser and a ruler to make sure that I had everything right. And at the end of all of this. The image still looks fuzzier than my 50mm. Does anyone have this lens? What do you guys think of it?

I got the 24 f/1.4, but when I checked out the 24 f/2.8, it was OK at f/2.8. Not stellar, but OK. Stopped down at f/8 or so it was just fine.

I'll post it when I get home.

Some lens hit the sweet spot when they are stopped down a bit.

I had that lens, and it wasn't sharp at all; however, I attributed this to my dropping it in the concrete soon after purchasing it--but I also suspected it could have just been a bad copy. Every other nikon prime I've used has been fantastic. Did you buy used?

Yeah, I did buy it used. I actually took it out for a spin last night to local show. I was actually quite good. I don't know why I had so much trouble with it in my room.

Was the camera fuzzy too? How about the room? A few drinks can do that. ;)

Okay, so I JUST realized that the filter that came with the lens was haze filter... I feel like an idiot. But even still it, it doesn't seem as sharp as my 50 1.4. But it is significantly better.

Well, the on-film or on-sensor image size of the 24mm is going to be slightly under 50% SMALLER than with a 50mm Nikkor, so that right there tends to make the 50 appear "sharper". Sharpness is an imprecise term, and can be affected by numerous things, like contrast, microcontrast, depth of field relationships, resolving power,etc.,etc..

The 28mm 2.8 lens works great. I don't use it too often, but it works when i need it to.

Okay, so I JUST realized that the filter that came with the lens was haze filter... I feel like an idiot. But even still it, it doesn't seem as sharp as my 50 1.4. But it is significantly better.

Lol derped.... some lenses have sweet spots, not necessarily at the widest aperture. My 50mm f/1.8 is gorgeous at 5.6

Most reactions

New Topics

Back