Nikon 28-70mm 2.8 - opinions?

Stunning Lens. Sharp everywhere across the spectrum, insanely fast, great build quality. The only "complaint" is that its wide end isn't that fantastic on a Digital Body, but it's a heck of a lens. I've yet to hear anything bad about it.

I have this lens and love it. Super sharp, great color, and contrast. It's great for portraits, landscapes, whatever. I wouldn't give up this lens for anything. It isn't small by any means, but I don't find it's size to be a problem. I highly recommend it, you won't be sorry if you buy it. It's a pro level Nikkor lens, you'll get what you'd expect from it. Worth every cent I paid. I'd take it over the 17-55 every time.

I have the 35-70 f/2.8 and I absolutly adore it.

The 28-70 grew out of the famous 35-70 zoom that was a hallmark of the Nikon lens line for decades. Many thought the 35-70 f2.8 was the best zoom lens made by anyone at the time. It was the normal lens for many pro Nikon users.

Improvements in computer aided lens design and lens element technology, have simply allowed the Nikon lens designers to make a roughly similar design with some extra range at the short end. I don't own one, but based on its pedigree, I would bet it is probably one of the best normal range zoom lenses money can buy. I would buy one sight unseen if I were in the market for that type of lens.

I would personally get the 35-70 just beucase if you do find it, it will be cheaper than the 28-70 and just as sharp.

Sw1tchFX said:
I would personally get the 35-70 just beucase if you do find it, it will be cheaper than the 28-70 and just as sharp.
Except that the focusing won't be nearly as fast (especially since the OP uses a D50 - the difference would be less on a D200 or D2X), you won't have the manual override, and the difference between 28mm and 35mm on a Digital is quite substantial (it's a 25% zoom). To each their own, and I'd certainly take a 35-70 if I could find one in the $300 range, but the 28-70 has a lot of advantages over the 35-70.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back