Nikon 28-70mm 2.8 - opinions?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by MommyOf4Boys, Oct 18, 2006.

1. MommyOf4Boys

MommyOf4Boys TPF Noob!

Does anyone have this lens that can tell me about it..how much they like/dislike it and how well it works for portraiture/wedding photography, etc...??

2. Tiberius

Tiberius TPF Noob!

Stunning Lens. Sharp everywhere across the spectrum, insanely fast, great build quality. The only "complaint" is that its wide end isn't that fantastic on a Digital Body, but it's a heck of a lens. I've yet to hear anything bad about it.

3. dsp921

dsp921 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have this lens and love it. Super sharp, great color, and contrast. It's great for portraits, landscapes, whatever. I wouldn't give up this lens for anything. It isn't small by any means, but I don't find it's size to be a problem. I highly recommend it, you won't be sorry if you buy it. It's a pro level Nikkor lens, you'll get what you'd expect from it. Worth every cent I paid. I'd take it over the 17-55 every time.

4. MommyOf4Boys

MommyOf4Boys TPF Noob!

thanks guys. Your comments are right along the lines of what I have been reviewing and it seems I would be foolish to pass this one up for what I need it for!

5. Silverpenguin

Silverpenguin TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Buy buy buy!! Stunning lens, I don't use mine very often as I mainly concentrate on wildlife but when I do I remember all over again why I got it!! :)

6. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have the 35-70 f/2.8 and I absolutly adore it.

7. KevinR

KevinR TPF Noob!

For your portrait stuff, it will work great.

8. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

The 28-70 grew out of the famous 35-70 zoom that was a hallmark of the Nikon lens line for decades. Many thought the 35-70 f2.8 was the best zoom lens made by anyone at the time. It was the normal lens for many pro Nikon users.

Improvements in computer aided lens design and lens element technology, have simply allowed the Nikon lens designers to make a roughly similar design with some extra range at the short end. I don't own one, but based on its pedigree, I would bet it is probably one of the best normal range zoom lenses money can buy. I would buy one sight unseen if I were in the market for that type of lens.

9. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would personally get the 35-70 just beucase if you do find it, it will be cheaper than the 28-70 and just as sharp.

10. Tiberius

Tiberius TPF Noob!

Except that the focusing won't be nearly as fast (especially since the OP uses a D50 - the difference would be less on a D200 or D2X), you won't have the manual override, and the difference between 28mm and 35mm on a Digital is quite substantial (it's a 25% zoom). To each their own, and I'd certainly take a 35-70 if I could find one in the $300 range, but the 28-70 has a lot of advantages over the 35-70.