Nikon 35-105mm f3.5-4.5

Alyssa15267

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone,
Is this a good lens? What is it mainly used for?

Which one? There's at least two versions.

Dont know, never heard of it but from looking at ebay I can see there are tons of it for dirt cheap.
This pretty much tells me it aint a very good lens or else it will demand higher price.
I might be wrong of course and this could be one of these hidden gems but somehow I doubt that.

There's a lot of old glass out there that's good. Some folks just don't want it 'coz it's old.

Some of my best lenses are 'legacy' or 'cult' lenses.

There's a lot of old glass out there that's good. Some folks just don't want it 'coz it's old.

Some of my best lenses are 'legacy' or 'cult' lenses.
I hear yah but how do you know to sift the gold from all the crapy old gear floating around ?

Ohh I know, you post a thread on the Nikon lens forum and hope to get helpful feedback :)

I hear yah but how do you know to sift the gold from all the crapy old gear floating around ?.........

I just google the 'official' name of the lens plus the word 'review'. So if I want to check out this lens, I enter AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D review into the Google search bar. If few reviews show up, I start broadening the search.

I also check out PixelPeeper to see if there's any usable images to, well............ peep at the pixels.

Dont know, never heard of it but from looking at ebay I can see there are tons of it for dirt cheap.
This pretty much tells me it aint a very good lens or else it will demand higher price.
I might be wrong of course and this could be one of these hidden gems but somehow I doubt that.
it probably is junk. I am going to shoot with it anyway. Might even like it. LOL i had a 1980 dodge omni 024 with the audi motor once. Bought it for the price of a plane ticket. window didnt work damn car filled up with snow. Door stopped working i climbed through the window. Battery went i parked it on hills so i could pop the clutch to get it running. Drove it back and forth across country round trip. i'll manage. LOL

That's an extremely ignorant way to determine whether it's any good or not.
I had a push/pull AF version that was really sweet,but too tight on a crop sensor for what I needed.
So, I sold it for $10 more than I paid for it a year later.
That's how you determine if a lens is any good for you or not.
You buy it and try it.

And I think there was actually 4 versions of this lens. The AIS, the original AF with a regular zoom ring,the AF push/pull and the AF-D.
The latest one supposedly sucked.

Last edited:

That's an extremely ignorant way to determine whether it's any good or not.
I had a push/pull AF version that was really sweet,but too tight on a crop sensor for what I needed.
So, I sold it for $10 more than I paid for it a year later.
That's how you determine if a lens is any good for you or not.
You buy it and try it.

And I think there was actually 4 versions of this lens. The AIS, the original AF with a regular zoom ring,the AF push/pull and the AF-D.
The latest one supposedly sucked.
Oh, wow you really took me waaayyyy to serious.
I was joking with my comment and if you didn't get that then here I am saying it.
When I consider to buy something I go the extra mile before I buy it, I do all research and only then when I am happy and satisfied I might post a thread here too just to see if somebody has extra info preferable first hand.

As I tell my son, life is hard and complicate as it is, we go through so much hardship, fighting our way uphill, struggling, crying so when we have a chance to smile at the sun from time to time grab every moment.
No need to take everything I say too serious.
Smile and life will smile back at you :)
Have a great evening!

Whooaaa.
I wasn't taking you THAT seriously,just pointing out a flaw in your logic.
I'm always smiling.

I dunno about the 35-105, but the 28-105 would make a nice walk around lens.

Whooaaa.
I wasn't taking you THAT seriously,just pointing out a flaw in your logic.
I'm always smiling.
Maybe I was the one that took this whole thing too serious, thought you came a little strong.
My bad :)

My advice, assuming you are using DX body get the Nikon 18-105mm VR used!

Few reasons why
1.Tons of those out there so they are easy to find and cheap (around 120$-150$)
2.Much more modern then the one you look at thus better optics
3.Has VR which is a nice bonus
4.Better focal range

Used to own this lens and it was lovely, good general use lens in good lighting.

Like @goodguy said, if you are using DX body, just get the 18-105 VR...you can get it for cheap and its going to perform better than that 35-105.

If you are on full frame, then you could consider the 28-105...its an old lens..but surprisingly sharp and good macro mode.

Honestly, I try to avoid these old zooms and just stick with old primes..there are a lot of old AF and AIS primes that are amazing...like the 105 2.5 AIS..very good piece of glass.

Though, I really wish Nikon made a 24-105 f/4. Sigma's version isn't that impressive and too big for what I want. The 24-120 f/4 is good, but still..way too big for general purpose walk around lens.

Last edited:
Like @goodguy said, if you are using DX body, just get the 18-105 VR...you can get it for cheap and its going to perform better than that 35-105.

If you are on full frame, then you could consider the 28-105...its an old lens..but surprisingly sharp and good macro mode.

Honestly, I try to avoid these old zooms and just stick with old primes..there are a lot of old AF and AIS primes that are amazing...like the 105 2.5 AIS..very good piece of glass.

Though, I really wish Nikon made a 24-105 f/4. Sigma's version isn't that impressive and too big for what I want. The 24-120 f/4 is good, but still..way too big for general purpose walk around lens.
I dont care about the dx by itself so much. I have a couple other ideas going. one is moving up the full frame at some point. The other just as important is going back to shooting film. i liked my early canon. I LOVED my konica. So i really dont care so much about the dx, as i am planning on adding a camera anyway. The nikon line of old film cameras is kind of confusing me i am doing some research. If a f2 took g lenses i already would have bought one. I dont really like having to rely on batteries so much. seems to get anything that will take a g lens or optional auto focus you end up with batteries. I dont see a camera that can do it all and operate with and without batteries taking the nikon lens line from ais already to the g lens. I am thinking of just tossing my hands in the air and going to look for a old konica again. Unfortunately a x girlfriend swiped that years ago when she packed her stuff (and some of mine i guess) to move out. Nikon has a much more stable history in lenses though and compatibility than konica so maybe i should just be looking at nikons. I am debating it. Really like to get my old konica back though. Never got over that. WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I never even owned a nikon till a few years ago. canon, polaroid, and konica.

Most reactions

Back