Nikon 40D

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by cande56755, Dec 10, 2008.

1. cande56755

cande56755 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    It seems like the Nikon D40 is the cheapest and best Digital SLR camera for the money. Is that true? Are there any other good cameras in this price range. Someone mentioned a Pentax I think k200. Any others?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  2. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    The Nikon D40 (not 40D as you transposed in the title) may be about the cheapest DSLR on the market, but it is debatable if it is the best DSLR for the money.

However, I will give you my "canned" response, which frankly is copied and pasted because this question gets asked here 10 times a week.

1) I suggest you do a search for D40 on the forums, this question gets answered about every single day and the answer never changes.

2) I suggest forgetting about looking at which camera body is best, and concentrate on which LENS system is best for you.

Digital cameras come and go, but the lenses you will own for 10 or 20 years... so as a NOOB (as I assume you are) my advise is to look at which LENS system you like the best.

I shoot Nikon because I like Nikon lenses... not because of a particular camera body.

That choice is far more important than which entry level camera body you will buy, especially when all entry level cameras will make excellent pictures.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There should be a few cameras in that price range, so check around. As we tell everyone who asks these questions (try the search feature), it's best to actually hold the cameras in a store, so that you can see which one feels best to you.

Also, consider that when you buy an SLR camera, you are buying into a system...mainly, the lenses. So have a look at what is available for the camera. Nikon, Canon, Pentax & Sony (Minolta) are all pretty good systems...but Canon & Nikon are probably the two best.

4. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    BTW, here is a long thread I originally posted over a year ago advising beginners not to buy a D40. Later in the thread, after the price on refurbished D40's dropped to $375 I changed my mind simply because at the very low price of $375 the limitations of the camera were overridden by the fact that it costs not much more than a pizza.

You can agree with me or not, but I think the discussion clearly points out the flaws and the strengths of the D40/D40x/D60.

The Infamous Beginners Don't Buy A D40 Thread

5. Enough Already

Enough Already TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Canon and Nikon will also extort money from you for their VR or IS lenses, even their kit lenses. The Pentax is a far better entry level choice and they have great lenses that dont require image stablization. Weather proof bodies, dust reduction, great ergonomics. I dont know if you have picked up a D40, but its small. I would suggest you see how they feel in your hands. Then weigh up the things they offer you, then make an educated decision. Good luck.

6. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

When working in a camera shop I sold Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Sony and Olympus dSLRs. I also had customers who used Panasonic, Sigma and Fuji ones. All of them were good cameras. Each had some good points and some flaws, each did some jobs better than others. That's why these companies continue to exist and compete, because they can all offer different things to different people. I myself am currently using a Pentax system, but I'm not going to tell you that's any better than a Nikon one because I don't know what you want from a camera and a camera system.

The D40 is a very good camera. The same applies to other Nikons and to similar "entry-level" SLRs available from other manufacturers. Like the Canon Rebels, the Sony Alpha range, the Pentax K or Olympus E series. Most are incredibly good value considering that they can cost the same or even less than some point-&-shoot models. Which is the best for the money will depend on what specifically you are looking for, and will vary depending on where and when you buy.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  7. cande56755

cande56755 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you everyone for your help.