Nikon 50 f/1.8 Series E........ free to --deserving user--.

480sparky

Chief Free Electron Relocator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
pixels.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Since I bought Dinardy's copy of the Nikon Series E 50/1.8 nifty fifty, I decided I would give my older copy away since it's really not worth trying to sell. It would probably cost more to ship than it would fetch on the open market, so........

I'm willing to send it to any TPF member (or someone they know) with a couple of conditions.

1. It goes to someone who truly needs it and will use it. Preferably, a member with just a slow kit lens who can't afford a nifty fifty, or maybe a student trying to put together a film body & lens for class. NOT someone who wants it just to add it to their collection.
2. Shipping to the Lower 48 only is included.

Please realize this is far from a perfect lens. (see photos)

50Eno1.jpg

As you can see from the barrell, it's got a lot of miles on the odometer.

5018Eno2.jpg

5018Eno3.jpg

5018Eno4.jpg

As you can see in the last two images, there's quite a bit of dust in the lens, as well as some flaw I'm not sure of. I don't think it's the coatings delaminating, and I doubt it's cleaning marks as that would require disassembly of the lens. It looks more like hard water deposits... Like water got into the lens, evaporated, and left mineral deposits on the glass. Whatever it is, it doesn't affect the IQ that I can tell. Same for the specks of real estate.

Also, the focus ring is rather 'goofy'..... there's a stiff spot right in the middle of focusing. But it focuses just fine.

This is NOT an auto-focus lens.... for any camera body, focus motor in it or not. This is strictly a manual focus lens... period.

I know it works on mid- to top-end bodies, but I cannot vouch that it will work on bodies like the D40, D50, D60, D90, etc. I'm fairly certain it will, however, work on most classic film bodies like the FM, FE, FM2, etc. It's not chipped, so you'll need to use the Non-CPU lens option on your DSLR if it has that function.

On the plus side, it's still sharp. Not to mention fast, small and light (these are sometimes referred to as 'pancake' lenses since it's hardly much bigger than the rear lens cap!). It takes 52mm filters, and both front & rear caps will be included.

So anyway... that's the offer..... Free to a deserving TPF member, shipping to CONUS (only) included.

I'll let the thread run a few weeks then decide who will be the lucky recipient of this little gem. Just respond to this thread if you'd like to be considered (or know of a Nikon SLR/DSLR user) and let me know why you think you (or that someone you know) should get it.

This is very generous of you! I'm not throwing my name in the pot, since I already have a nifty fifty, I just wanted to chime in that the 50mm lens is my absolute favorite! It rarely leaves my camera. It will be a great addition to anyone's collection.

This is very kind of you!
I just did a bunch of research, and they sound like a must have lens! I have a Canon T3i, and I can get an adapter ring quite cheap, so I think it should fit if I'm not wrong.
This would be wonderful to have and I would love to be considered for this lens!!!

Thanks for your generosity!

I would be interested in it. I have been playing more and more with portraits and other random photography in the house, It would be nice to have something other than the kit glass. Specially since I don't have any lighting other than the built in flash, the 1.8 would sure be handy over the 3.5 kitter.

I can't throw me in your generous gesture either but I think what you are doing is good for the cause. I too have quite a few "junkies" I am thinking of giving away but I do not know how to go about it yet.

Money is tight these days, and i'm always on the lookout on deals for lenses.. Even if it's something different than what I do, it's always a great learning experience. If you could throw my name it that would be great! Thanks :)

Good on ya Sparky! I don't need it, but there's gotta be someone out there who really does.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back