Nikon 50 mm. 1.8

turnbeaugh5

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I want to buy a 50 mm. 1.8 prime for a Nikon d40x. I have heard however that Nikon is coming out with a new one that will actually autofocus on th d40s and d60s. If that's the case, I will wait for that. Does anyone know if and when Nikon will be coming out with that?

I'm curious to know where you heard or read this. The D40 has been out for years and I have yet to hear of even a rumor that Nikon is making an AF-S prime lens. Manual focus isn't that bad with the D40, and the existing f/1.8D AF lens is a steal even if it won't AF with the D40[x].

I just picked up a used Series E f/1.8 on eBay for $30 for my D40. You can find these old manual lenses all over eBay for very cheap and they are optically perfect. You can only use them in M mode, and you have to do everything manually -- metering, focusing, flash leveling, etc. -- but it's worth the money if you can get a good deal.

I heard it from an employee at my local camera shop. He seemed to be a little foggy on the details, that's why I thought I would ask here.

wait till the 27th, if you don't hear anything, get the sigma 50mm f/1.4 if you want AF.

The reason why switch said wait is that there is a giant camera show coming up that most big announcements are made at, and if its coming out soon, it will be announced there.

yep, and dont' expect the new 50 to be cheap, it's going to be at least $600

Is there something optically wrong with the current f/1.8 AF?

It's a 30 year old design, that's what's wrong with it.

When people rave about the "nifty fifty" it is generally the Canon 1.8 they are talking about. It is a fantastic lens for the money.

The Nikon 1.8 (which I own) isn't nearly as sharp as the Canon (which I have used) until you stop it down to f/5.6... and stopping it down to f/5.6 kind of defeats the whole purpose of this lens, doesn't it?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back