Nikon 500mm G. Lens Lens Cover and Backpack Transport issue

photoarts1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I got a nice used Nikon 500mm F4 G series lens a couple of years ago. Immediately bought an aquateck front filter for it. They work great, however, I have noticed that when I stand the lens down and carry in the Nikon soft bag/backpack made for the lens that over time the edges press down and do make contact with the very outside ring of the lens and leaves a slight mark. These were able to be cleaned up but I am worried it might to permanent damage over time.

So for transporting the lens during my travels I bought a new slip on cover style bag that I believe originally comes with lens. It has a circular pad in the bottom with some 4 Velcro strips holding the pad in place. My question for all is will those Velcro strips come in contact with the lens? I believe that these might do more damages to the coating of the lens if the small strips come into contact. Do I remove this pad or what? Any suggestions for transporting this large lens in a Nikon Backpack without damaging the front element. I noticed that the Nikon Backpack style soft also had small foam block in the inside/bottom of the bag.

I couldn't find any instructions or tips on Nikon site or elsewhere regarding the slip on cover or the bag. Curious to know how others have used this combo.

Any tips would be most appreciated.

thanks

p

The front element cover (there is no rigid lens cap for this lens) should be a padded bag that slips on. I'm not familiar with any Velcro on the OEM version. Why not contact Nikon and just buy a new one?

I do have the slip on cover Nikon version. If you look at the bottom of the cover's inside you will see the padding and then there are four small Velcro strips that hold the padding in place. And I do know there is no rigid lens cap for this system, just wondering what you long shooters use when transporting this lens in the field in a Backpack style bag where element of lens is downwards.

thanks
p

Sounds like they've changed the design slightly. The ones I'm familiar with are the older AF versions, and that cover didn't have any Velcro... If you're concerned, why not just cut some soft cotton or something into a circle to slip inside and cover up the Velcro.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back