Nikon 50mm 1.4G limitations?

iShootYou

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have discovered that my 50mm 1.4G lens is not Sharp as I would want it to be or expected when shooting wide open (e.g 1.4, 1.8, 2, 2.8).

I really haven't tested it at higher than f/8, but I have also noticed that it's still NOT as sharp as I want.

My settings are: Manual mode, 200 ISO, 125 SP, f/ 1.4, 1.8, 2, 2.8 even 5.6.

And still not as sharp. When I view my photos in the Nikon ViewNXsoftware zoom in at 50-80% they are very pixelated...shouldn't they be sharp?

So I'm thinking is it the lens softness or could it be me/lens/camera? I have read that this lens is really nice, but not as sharp, read it on a blog so not sure how I can confirm this.

Any suggestions, relating experiences, help?

Shooting with Nikon D90.

Thanks,
Zoe

Sent using PhotoForum

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is the most "sharp"s I've read in a short post ever!

How sharp is sharp to you? Most of the images you see online have been sharpened in post processing. Many of those "sharp" ones are over done.

To get a "sharp" image, yes the aperture matters. Other factors can be motion blur. Try setting at a low ISO, put it on tripod and use a timer/remote shutter as well as its auto focus. See if this works for you. I don't think there are many lens that are sharper than the F1.4 50mm.

A tripod can help a lot. You dont realize it but just by holding the camera or hitting the shutter the camera vibrates, possibly causing a loss in sharpness.

Same for remote cable release

Same for shooting "mirror up" -- you prevent the mirror vibration from affecting your shot by waiting a second after the mirror is up before the shutter fires (check your manual)

On top of that you can use sharpening in photoshop or lightroom or capture nx to increase sharpness

Also remember to shoot with a low iso

If at that point your photo looks sharp when zoomed out but pixels when zoomed in, well that could just be because the image is made of pixels. :)

Hope that helps. Maybe post some examples.

and gear failure is always possible -- a bad body or lens

molested_cow said:

How sharp is sharp to you? Most of the images you see online have been sharpened in post processing. Many of those "sharp" ones are over done.

To get a "sharp" image, yes the aperture matters. Other factors can be motion blur. Try setting at a low ISO, put it on tripod and use a timer/remote shutter as well as its auto focus. See if this works for you. I don't think there are many lens that are sharper than the F1.4 50mm.

What do you mean by "sharp"s" post ever? Are you calling me dumb? I hope not as I'm very new to photography and I believe no question is ever too dumb or silly. Just confirming you're not name calling here :)

Sent using PhotoForum

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha, no he's not calling you dumb.
It's just that your post has the word 'sharp' in it a lot.

Anyways, he makes a good case... A lot of photos are sharpened during post processing.
Might make a great deal of difference.

Do you have any examples we can see? Maybe we can recognize any problems you may have.

It's no secret, many lenses arent as sharp wide open. Combined with DOF and missing focus, it's a recipe for soft OOF images.

*Alarm bells*

What do you mean exactly by "pixellated" ? Do you mean actual square blocks which look like pixels? This is not a function of lens sharpness but rather a lack of resolution in a digital image.

Can you post an example? Maybe even post a screenshot of ViewNX so we can see what you're seeing and ensure we're all on the same page?

molested_cow said:

What do you mean by "sharp"s" post ever? Are you calling me dumb? I hope not as I'm very new to photography and I believe no question is ever too dumb or silly. Just confirming you're not name calling here :)

Sent from my iPhone using PhotoForum

Sensitive to the good info being offered huh
iconhammer.gif

molested_cow said:

Sent from my iPhone using PhotoForum

Sensitive to the good info being offered huh
iconhammer.gif

I wouldn't call "You used the word sharp a lot" "good info offered." However, the rest of his post was helpful.

Just my .02 cents.

OK you're right.... perhaps I should've said "sensitive to info being offered". Thanks for clarification.

Yep posting examples can help diagnose camera/lens/user issues.

Biggest issues I see with new to photography and prime use is nailing exposure. As they are usually trying in difficult low light situations and underexposing the shot resulting in noise in the image. And some have mis-spoked calling it pixelating instead of noise. Since you are shooting manual what is the metering tell you? As nailing exposure is critical on minimizing it. As I shoot manual on my D90 generally 98% of the time and know if I have to underexpose a shot then will be dealing with noise reduction in post.

Also as a general rule no lens is sharpest at it's widest. A rule of thumb is 2 stops and should be sharpening up quite a bit and near it's sharpness max. So on an f1.4 would think f2.8-f4 would be entering into it's optimal sharpness range.

But all just guesses here without examples to analyze it's hard to say what the issue might be.

I have discovered that my 50mm 1.4G lens is not Sharp as I would want it to be or expected when shooting wide open (e.g 1.4, 1.8, 2, 2.8).

I really haven't tested it at higher than f/8, but I have also noticed that it's still NOT as sharp as I want.

My settings are: Manual mode, 200 ISO, 125 SP, f/ 1.4, 1.8, 2, 2.8 even 5.6.

And still not as sharp. When I view my photos in the Nikon ViewNXsoftware zoom in at 50-80% they are very pixelated...shouldn't they be sharp?

So I'm thinking is it the lens softness or could it be me/lens/camera? I have read that this lens is really nice, but not as sharp, read it on a blog so not sure how I can confirm this.

Any suggestions, relating experiences, help?

Shooting with Nikon D90.

Thanks,
Zoe

Sent using PhotoForum
Pics or it didn't happen.

my money is on the pucs veing fine and hes just zooming in till he sees actual pixels :)

question is, is the pic sharp zoomed out? loss of sharpness due to a shallow depth of firld isnt recovered by zooming out

or does it appear in objects that might kove like trees moving in the wind

so many variables, without pics nothing is certain

One of the biggest issues we see here is that people new to photography want to shoot wide open apertures, for the supposedly "wonderful" bokeh! Many complain about how they can't get sharp images... they are all blurry or OOF.

Being new to photography, do you understand DOF (Depth of Field)??? And do you understand how distance and aperture affect DOF?

Online Depth of Field Calculator

The Nikon 50 1.4 has a excellent reputation as a sharp lens.... so I would not suspect the lens as the issue. Most people new to photography are not able maximize sharpness due to poor camera handling skills, and a lack of understanding on how to achieve maximum sharpness, on any lens. It takes a while (experience) to be able to shoot wide open, and actually achieve good photos. (and as mentioned, almost all lenses are sharper when stopped down about 2 stops.)

Pixel peeping is not going to show you sharpness past a certain degree.... but you should be able to view even at 100% and not see excessive pixelization.

please post examples... the full image, and a 100% crop of the image... so we can see it. (with the Exif data intact or included. Also list approximate distance to your subject, and to the background)

Thank you all for the help. And yes, it's true without sample pictures it's hard for you to suggest anything further. I will post a picture of a flower taken in the woods. I though it was a "good" photo until I showed it to this one guy more advanced in photography then me and he was the one that pouted out "where's your focus" it's blurry.

That's when I was like "what"? Focus? And I realized the picture wasn't "acceptable" as far as focusing goes.

Shooting: manual
Nikon D90
50mm1.4G lens
ISO: 200
Sp: 125
F/2.8

Most reactions

New Topics

Back